If you have a dicky ticker

cream. 14:59 03 Jul 11

don't go to Rochdale infirmary. call 999 for a crash team.

Has the hospital been downgraded because of budget cuts?

woodchip 16:45 03 Jul 11

it further than i would need to be taken to

bremner 17:22 03 Jul 11

The first comment by a surgeon [alleged] says it all for me.

VCR97 19:05 03 Jul 11

I saw a TV report on this but I wasn't taking much notice. However, there was a shot of a document which said something about calling 999 in certain cicumstances.

morddwyd 20:18 03 Jul 11

My understanding of the article is that the team were operating on the heart, inserting catheters.

No matter how minor or routine it was invasive heart surgery.

One would have hoped that a team carrying out heart surgery would have known a bit about restarting a heart.

It's something that many firefighters, police officers and trained first aiders carry out regularly.

Paddy 00:40 04 Jul 11

Angioplasty involves inserting a catheter into an artery through the groin then up into the heart, attached to the catheter is a metal spring loaded tube which is then released into the narrowed or blocked artery thus enabling the blood to flow freely again. All of this takes place with the patient awake and able to watch everything happening on a large monitor over the operating table. I have had this procedure (twice) following a triple by-pass operation. Very dodgy and definitely not reccomended if there is no cardiac resus team available!!! pm

rdave13 00:50 04 Jul 11

"Now hospital bosses have cancelled all operations until Monday while they look at their procedures again."

Managers can be worse than consultants.

proudfoot 12:34 05 Jul 11

It is about time hospitals were run by the medical staff, not administrators. You wouldn't trust the receptionist at your local service station to carry out a service or MOT on your car.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…