If you are rich......

Mr Mistoffelees 10:05 13 Aug 10

Don't speed in Switzerland!

From the BBC click here

johndrew 10:09 13 Aug 10

"If you are rich......"

or poor don`t speed.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:14 13 Aug 10

I'm not suggesting anyone should speed, just that if you are wealthy the Swiss will make you pay dearly.

wee eddie 10:56 13 Aug 10

on the perpetrator's wealth is quite beyond me.

Fining a City Gent £100 is pointless as is a similar Fine to a Single Mum on Benefit.

The first will not notice it, the second will be unable to pay it as her Income is only just sufficient to live on.

As an example of the First. I shall take you back to the experimental Double Pink Lines in Fleet Street in the 60's.

A rather supercilious young man, who I knew well, Owner of a Printing Business that was entirely funded by his ultra rich father, used to park his Aston on the Double Pink Lines outside his Office.

When he went home, he just chucked the Tickets onto the pavement. The law, of course, eventually caught up with him and he was taken to Court, he plead Guilty and asked for several hundred other similar Parking Offences, on the same spot, to be taken into account. The Judge fined him all the Fines plus £1000, equivalent to several year's wages of an average manual Labourer.

His response, from the Dock was, "Would you prefer Cash or a Cheque."

interzone55 12:18 13 Aug 10

Just like this case.

Two cars worth over £1m parked on double yellows outside harrods. The fine was £70 each car.

The owners of the cars also own Harrods, not sure £140 is going to worry them too much after they just paid £1.5m for a corner shop

click here

Quickbeam 12:22 13 Aug 10

The combination of the inconvenience of not being able to drive away at will and being pointed out as the rich plonkers that still got clamped will be enough to stop them doing it again.

Pine Man 12:41 13 Aug 10

I have heard it said that some of the very well off consider that having their car clamped is an excellent way of making sure it will still be where they parked it when they return;-)

Chegs ®™ 13:47 13 Aug 10

excellent way of making sure it will still be where they parked it when they return;-)

Not if the offending vehicle is towed which I believe is common in many London boroughs.

Pine Man 16:45 13 Aug 10

'Not if the offending vehicle is towed'

Even safer in a secure compound;-))

morddwyd 20:21 13 Aug 10

"Why other nations do not base Fines on the perpetrator's wealth is quite beyond me."

This particular nation, the UK, does in some cases.

Fines for serious health and safety convictions are meant to be high enough to affect the company's profit, and therefore dividend, but should not be so high as to force the company out of business (though this does sometimes happen).

I am sure there must be other instances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…