If you are driving in driving rain

WhiteTruckMan 23:40 25 Jun 07

then there are some things you need to do.

1-slow down. You may have abs brakes, but you will still take longer to stop than in the dry.

2-turn on your lights. And by lights I mean headlights, not a peanut sized bicycle lamp bulb. Neither do i mean fog lights, front OR rear. And when was the last time you looked to see if they all work? especially both brake lights?

3-if the spray is so bad that your vision is obscured between wipes of your windscreen wipers then dont use intermittant wipe. Turn them up. if you still cannot see at their fastest setting then you are going too fast.

4-make sure your windscreen is clear. Demisters are there for a purpose. Use them. If you are going to use your sleeve or your hand at least do a decent job, not just a letterbox sized area to peer out of.

5-tyres. the legal tread depth limit is 1.6 mm. Dont think you are safe with 1.7mm. With standing water on the roads you might as well be driving on slicks.

6-mirrors. lots of cars have heated mirrors, usually linked to the heated rear window. Use them, they will do a passable job of keeping them clear.

7-journey time. You are going to be late in bad weather. either accept it or set off earlier. Its not worth the risk of pushing your luck, whatever the reason.

Whats prompted all this? witnessing 22 accidents today, 14 of which I have given my name as a witness. I've had to write them all up just for my own memory, and I am not looking foreward to all those forms from the insurance companies arriving.

Drive carefully, arrive safely.

WTM

hzhzhzhz 23:56 25 Jun 07

I really cannot understand why drivers still drive on sidelights in poor driving conditions. Is it because they think that only the rear lights are of any benefit?.

TopCat® 00:02 26 Jun 07

If you happen to drive through deep water then gently apply your brakes several times for a few seconds afterwards as soon as it's safe to do so. This will makes the drying out process much quicker and you'll soon note when the brakes are fully operative as before. TC.

Kate B 00:17 26 Jun 07

Good advice, WTM, and I hope you're not too shaken up by having seen so many accidents today.

wiz-king 07:10 26 Jun 07

Can I add ............ please try to avoid soaking pedestrians with you bow wave! It's bad enough having to paddle through the water without getting sprayed from head to toe.

Quickbeam 08:18 26 Jun 07

Forget the old description 'sidelights', and think 'parking lights' instead. Thats all they are.

How often do see oncoming traffic in poor visibility with what appears to be no lights on, only to see when their nearly on you that they're driving on 'parking lights'?

The point being 'parking lights', are no better than no lights, if you can see the vehicle before the lights.

Colin 10:09 26 Jun 07

I was surprised to learn that some drivers only put their headlights on when it helps them to see. They were unaware that headlights are also to be seen by. I think that's why you see cars driving along a road with street lights on at night with only their side lights on because they can see just as well without their headlights on. WTM makes a lot of good points. Why is there such poor driving standards today? I used to think that middle lane hoggers etc. were being bad mannered, but some of them genuinely think that's how they should drive on a motorway - the inside lane's only for trucks, you know. God help us!

Bingalau 10:47 26 Jun 07

WTM. May I add another. Listen to the weather forecast and if it's as bad as recent ones, then stay indoors (upstairs nowadays). Only make journeys when it's absolutely necessary,such as hospital emergency trips.

Quickbeam 10:57 26 Jun 07

As per Colin above... because there is no longer an effective Government funded series of road awareness (don't confuse with road safety) ads.

Remember the old Reginald Molehusband, the hopeless reverse parking character & other ads?

One thing they did was bring driving ability to the fore, nobody wanted to be ridiculed as a 'Reggie'!

Chris the Ancient 12:33 26 Jun 07

Steamed up windows!!!

Cure them with your air-con - if you have it. But I'll freeze me bits and pieces off! No you won't if you turn up the temperature!

Colin 13:23 26 Jun 07

Chris the Ancient - good point. Again, many drivers think that air con is only for cooling the interior of the car down and always have it on the coolest setting when using it, not appreciating that it can be used to demist and warm the car as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…