If they think I'm gonna fall for that...

rodriguez 17:03 21 Nov 06

Just been to meet this guy in Birmingham from a company called IBS (International Business Solutions) who I met about a month ago at a jobs fair in the NIA. Basically the whole thing involves having your own home "business" where you sell these "exclusive" products through their online shopping website, Amivo (click here). Then there was something about a points system where you make points for every £ of product you sell, then these points earned you money at the end of the month. Then he went on to say about recruiting other people and this would make more points which made more money, then those people recruiting more and so on. I thought "sounds like a pyramid scheme to me", as he was going on about allsorts of untold wealth about earning £25,000 a year after a couple of years then after about 5 or 6 years being on £100,000 or whatever. Anyway after coming home a quick google search on Amivo revealed allsorts of things about it being a pyramid scheme - but a legal one. Either way, it seems like a pointless thing to get involved in and probably won't make me any money at all so I don't think I'll get involved. He wants to meet me again on Thursday so shall I tell him I think it's just a big con or shall I pretend I'm not interested in it?

I'm currently uploading a PowerPoint presentation about the whole thing so you can have a look and see what you think of it later when it's done.

Curio 17:09 21 Nov 06

Stay well clear. Well done for Spotting it in the first place!!

octal 17:14 21 Nov 06

Pointless earning those points, I like that :-)

But yes I agree with Curio steer clear, I've been offered schemes like this on a couple of occasion, but I'm a cynical old git at the best of times and I think it's held me in good stead.

Cymro. 17:17 21 Nov 06

Personally I would just not bother to turn up. This man has waisted your time and is not to be trusted so there is no need for you to consider him.
If as you say it is legal then there is little point in telling the police. I wonder if Trading Standards would be interested?
Good job you checked up on this but then there is sure to be someone who will fall for such things.

Cymro. 17:17 21 Nov 06

Personally I would just not bother to turn up. This man has waisted your time and is not to be trusted so there is no need for you to consider him.
If as you say it is legal then there is little point in telling the police. I wonder if Trading Standards would be interested?
Good job you checked up on this but then there is sure to be someone who will fall for such things.

mattyc_92 17:26 21 Nov 06

He has wasted your time, so you should waste his.
Pretend to be interested, but keep saying you need more information when asked if you want to be recruited.

Then at the end of it, just say you aren't interested.

Unless of course you are busy doing something else?

mattyc_92 17:28 21 Nov 06

ps. I do this when people phone up about 'do you want double-glazing' and I try to keep them talking for 5 minutes. When they FINALLY realise what I am doing, they 'blacklist' me. Thus no more silly calls about double-glazing (if they actually cared to research BEFORE asking, they would know I already have it)

octal 17:29 21 Nov 06

I've just put their name into Google and found this click here I haven't read it all in the time available, but looks interesting.

Draw your own conclusions, but mine are:

Me<------------------Bargepole------------------->Amivo

rodriguez 17:36 21 Nov 06

click here for the PowerPoint presentation. Also click here for a forum I found about IBS. I think I will pretend I'm interested for a while, he's not getting any money or bank details - in fact I never asked if you had to pay any money up front so I will when I see him next. Pyramid schemes never work, it's just a load of people going round in circles hoping they'll make money when they won't - should be called circle schemes. octal, that's the link I found when I first typed Amivo into Google, and I read some of the PDF files which confirmed my suspicions.

jack 17:59 21 Nov 06

IBS also stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

e.g - Belly Ache ---Yeah just about sums it up I reckon.

rodriguez 18:41 21 Nov 06

I know what else the BS in it could stand for an all ;-) dunno about the I though...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…