If only it had been me!

TopCat® 16:17 29 Apr 12
Answered

As a fellow Yorkshireman of many years existance, I have nothing but admiration and envy on how this 86 year old guy came to purchase his own island paradise in the Seychelles. It cost him the princely sum of £8000 in 1962 and since then he has been offered millions by developers to sell, but has always declined their offer.

As I pointed out in the opening line, the inbred instinct of my forebears telling me never to pay out too much, makes me wonder if he couldn't have bartered down the asking price at the time! :) Anyone else fancy such an idyllic lifestyle as shown on this video? TC.

lotvic 17:07 29 Apr 12

You have to admire him, once you get over feeling jealous of his relaxed lifestyle.

Chegs ®™ 17:15 29 Apr 12

I wouldn't mind living on an island,just not there as I'd be too scared of tsunami.

Aitchbee 18:22 29 Apr 12

It must be a great feeling to know you are older than most of the trees and tortoises on your own island. Brendon has got his feet firmly planted on solid ground.

Forum Editor 18:56 29 Apr 12

It all sounds very idyllic, but you need to be a certain kind of person to be happy living permanently on an island like this.

I'm not sure I am that kind of person, but I sure would like to give it a try.

Aitchbee 19:05 29 Apr 12

FE - I tend to agree with you - I would miss the bookies ;0]

flycatcher1 19:23 29 Apr 12

FE What would Mrs FE say?

wiz-king 19:25 29 Apr 12

Perhaps she thinks he's an old slowcoach tortoise.

I'll get me coat.

TopCat® 19:30 29 Apr 12

I sort of get the feeling that a larger island, with plane, pilot and adequate runway and in the same location, would be just up your street, Peter. :)

As for Brendon, I take my hat of to him for his mammoth hard work in transforming, over many years, his island into a tree-lined wildlife sanctuary. I hope he gets enough visitors to help pay the bills.

I'll be watching BBC Two at 20.00hrs tonight for part two of Simon Reeve's travels. TC.

Forum Editor 19:31 29 Apr 12

"What would Mrs FE say?"

Why did you have to go and spoil it all by asking that?

She probably wouldn't say anything - I would just get the look that says 'Have you gone completely mad?'. Mrs FE would not like such a life at all. No opera house, no Brent Cross shopping centre, no SKY arts channels....and no phone. In short, a living hell.

Come to think of it there would probably be no BT Infinity. Forget the idea.

Forum Editor 19:38 29 Apr 12
Answer

"...a larger island, with plane, pilot and adequate runway and in the same location, would be just up your street, Peter."

Now you're talking. Come to think of it there are several such locations - one of them being my all-time favourite island location. Here it is

Take a look at the gallery - view the beach images and you'll see a Vista with two small figures in the distance, one wearing a red shirt. I've walked that spot on several occasions, and believe me, it fits my idea of paradise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017