If it dos'nt work, give it a thump

Pamy 16:54 06 Sep 07

I am sure many of you did this to the old TV years ago when the picture was poor or it did not come on. I have seen young (and older) people kick a vending machine when the product did not come out. So, in my last post in "help room" I said that I had spent most of the day trying to get it to boot up again after trying a number of your suggestions for my problem with IE7. Well, my computer failed to boot again today and in frustration what did I do, yes, I gave it a thump and up it booted and so far is running fine. So my morrell to this story is.. "show it who is boss"

oresome 17:13 06 Sep 07

Disturbance testing is a legitimate part of fault finding.

Now you just need to find out just what you actually disturbed and why it fixed the fault.

Pamy 17:26 06 Sep 07

Trying not to disturb it again, if it aint broke dont try to fix it

Chegs ®™ 17:47 06 Sep 07

I was just thinking about this recently...we had a brand new colour TV delivered(several years ago now)which was faulty,the repair man duly arrives and on being shown the fault thumped it so hard on the side it slid 3ft! It didnt fix the fault so he had to get the back off and start testing this and that,after an hour or more it was pronounced dead and a replacement ordered.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 06 Sep 07

Spent a five year apprenticeship learning where to hit things and how hard, in order to affect a repair.

Have been refining the technique ever since.

Pamy 18:02 06 Sep 07

I think that is where the skill is, knowing where to hit it and how hard.(I just have to remember where I hit it and how hard

Forum Editor 18:50 06 Sep 07

may well be "show it who is boss", but to be honest I don't recommend giving computers a 'thump' as a general method of curing problems.

One of my daughters dropped a slim folder of papers on her company laptop last week, and the hard drive didn't like it at all - it's suffered a head crash, and is being replaced.

Pamy 19:05 06 Sep 07

moral, well you don't spell it like I do, but I understand what you are saying, but it did work for me this time. I will try to use a more scientific aproach next time and if that don't work.. I'll give it another thump.

QuizMan 21:09 06 Sep 07

As Tony Hancock said to the television repairman when asked if he's been hitting his TV: "Of course I've been hitting it; once for channel 1 and nine times for channel 9".

Naturally, you'd have needed to be around for 1950's TV's to understand that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:27 06 Sep 07

OK so no thumping.

Just give it a "technical tap".

Woolwell 21:39 06 Sep 07

I knew a ship's engineer who stated that when something wasn't working he firstly give it a good staring at, then a good torching with his torch, then he hit it with a hammer and if it still didn't work he changed the part.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…