Identiy Theft Security !!!

jonpep 10:49 28 Jun 06

I was very suprised and disgusted by a letter from P.C.Avisor, a confirmation letter regarding my yearly subscription.
It had:
My account name
Account number
Bank sort code
With all the post that you hear of going missing or dumped, I feel that this is VERY bad for security regarding Identity Theft.
It goes without saying that I have cancelled my subscription, and I would hope that this practice is stopped now.
I also would like to think that someone in authority reads this, and does something about it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:53 28 Jun 06

You are grossly over-reacting and I feel that you may have read too many fiction tomes. This information is on your cheques and cash cards and every DD that I have set up has sent me a confirmation letter with those details.

G

jonpep 11:03 28 Jun 06

I carry my cheques and cards ON me.
You must be very trusting and I take exception to your comment of over-reacting.
Are you a member of the PC AVISOR TEAM?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:13 28 Jun 06

'I carry my cheques and cards ON me.'....but you give a cheque over and hand your card over. No I'm not a member of the PCA team just giving a realistic comment.

Judging by your tone I would doubt that anyone would want to steal your identity so you will be safe.

G

jonpep 11:20 28 Jun 06

My aim was to bring this to the attention of all readers of the magazine, and NOT a personal attack on the idividual (me), not like yourself has done.
Contact ended.

Fellsider 11:22 28 Jun 06

I get a regular statement of ALL my banking transactions in one envelope. This includes Bank account number(s), the amounts in the account(s), my credit card numbers and my bank branch code.
I am not exactly ecstatic that they do it this way but I haven't withdrawn my custom as all banks probably do the same.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:33 28 Jun 06

I have the same in confirmation letters from TV Licensing, Severn Trent, all my bank statements that are in obvious envelopes, other subscriptions and I could go on for ages but I really can't be bothered. I despair a bit.

G

De Marcus™ 12:14 28 Jun 06

Nobody in the world can touch anything in your account with just a name, sort code and account number.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:24 28 Jun 06

I assume that jonpep will now cancel all his DDs and bank accounts forthwith. Bit of a knee jerk reaction which I put down to the weather.

G

€dstowe 12:30 28 Jun 06

Those details are on every cheque you write.

They don't reveal anything that cannot be obtained by almost anyone perfectly legitimately.

No secure information, like a PIN number, is revealed.

spuds 13:23 28 Jun 06

Funny that you should talk about 'Identiy Theft Security !!!'. I have just received in a very obvious looking package, a credit card worth a few £££££ from a well known company

Had the postman or anyone decided to open the envelope, and use the credit card, they may have had a field day. Was I bothered, not in the least, I hadn't telephoned the company up, to verify that I had received the card.

Now if someone wants to look in my bin at the end of the month, they might find something to their advantage perhaps?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…