Identify this insect, please?

Graham* 20:53 PM 26 Aug 12

Along with bees, it is attracted to a cat mint plant in a hanging basket outside Picture

wee eddie 21:08 PM 26 Aug 12

It's a, common or garden, House Fly

Google Image page

Aitchbee 21:17 PM 26 Aug 12

The white-stripes on each eye {big red-eyes} of this insect would probably distinguish it from non white-striped red-eyed insects.It's a big fly...that's the best I can do for the moment.

rdave13 23:45 PM 26 Aug 12

Could be a horse-fly though they're not meant to like the mint odour.

Graham* 23:48 PM 26 Aug 12

If it's any help, it's quite small and hovers.

Belatucadrus 01:19 AM 27 Aug 12

Perhaps a proper Dipterists forum would be more appropriate for an accurate answer. Problem may be that with the wings folded on this photo the pattern on the thorax is obscured and that's the main means of identification.

wee eddie 04:34 AM 27 Aug 12

It's as bad a case of Red Eye as I've seen in a while!

Forum Editor 08:42 AM 27 Aug 12

There are literally dozens of different hover-flies, and it can be very difficult to tell them apart.

Aitchbee 21:43 PM 28 Aug 12

Most of my flowering plants on my verandah (in pots) are at eye-level (to my eyes) so I get a good look at all of the insects that flutter by. Like Graham*, I often wonder what's the name of that little flying/crawling/buzzzing creature...spiders 'n' ants are easy-peasy.

sunnystaines 07:31 AM 29 Aug 12

graham getting the following warning on your link that norton blocks.

Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site.

must be a false positive as no one else reports this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…