Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 70

Brumas 20:54 21 Mar 08

click here
click here

More a talking point then an identification longshot. I just wondered if anyone had any comments on this real photographic scene set in the closing stages of the Great War?

csqwared 21:27 21 Mar 08

No, you're not on your own tonight. Given that there are still six months to go before the armistice with Germany, and the trials and tribulations associated with that conflict I think these chaps look extremely smart. Must have been on some kind of R & R if they've found the time to have a Battalion sports day. Apparently Houtkerque saw much fighting during WW1 and has war graves in the village church.

Not a football fan either - Rhinos mean anything?

Bingalau 21:31 21 Mar 08

Brumas
Are you sure you have got the correct back of the postcard to go with the picture? I've been reading it, and it talks of two officers, one of whom is supposed to be holding a cup of some sort having won a sporting event. I can't see any officers or a cup in the picture. Very quaint accommodation though isn't it?

csqwared 21:35 21 Mar 08

I was going to make the same point as Bingalau, al;though I did think the two chaps on the right might be officers (going by the headgear) but thought it best to run it through Photoshop first. Done that and can't find a cup. Also had a quick look at a couple of web sites for Houtkerque but no sign of that building.

Bingalau 21:53 21 Mar 08

The letter I read as follows:... Can't decipher some of the words though.

My dear Beloved wife Edie, Herewith a photo of our billet taken at Hautkergne, shows my platoon the winners of the Batton Championship at sports. The officer holding the cup is a schoolteacher from Glasgow and the other officer is our adjutant, he comes from Glasgow ????? the boy? that is on the left of the with cup, comes from Bridgeton? ??????? Street. ??????I wishing I was there now with you dear, then I would be happier than I am now dear. Your loving husband Syd.

Not a kiss at the end of it though, what a shame.

Brumas 22:12 21 Mar 08

No doubt about it - they are the same postcard. I too cannot make out a cup?

Bingalau 22:13 21 Mar 08

Hang about ... Is there a little black cup shaped object standing on the wall ?

Bingalau 22:15 21 Mar 08

Just to the left of the notice board and in front of the window.

Brumas 22:22 21 Mar 08

Leeds Rhinos - the current World Champions - are not doing too badly at the moment, having said that, they were soundly beaten by the team currently residing at the bottom of the table just after becoming World Champions!!!

Woolwell 22:26 21 Mar 08

It's Houtkerque click here in France. Now which regiment?

Brumas 22:27 21 Mar 08

What intrigues me is that 'contraption' sitting on back of the horse? Surely that is not the Cup???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…