Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 68

Brumas 21:01 14 Mar 08

click here
click here

The evidence strongly points to this being a procession or church parade in Blackpool/Liverpool/Ullapool/Hartlepool etc. but can anyone narrow it down any further?

Newuser38 21:11 14 Mar 08

Welcome back, have not got a clue but Blackpool would certainly have had postcards.

Bingalau 21:22 14 Mar 08

Hi Brumas... Nice to have you back and I haven't said a bad word about you .... Honest!

The only thing I can say about this picture is that it has been sent by the girl with the "X" to her brother W.L Stamfield, on the 4th June at 2.30 a.m. There is a large English flag in the picture which probably rules out any of the towns ending in "pool" in Scotland. (It would nowadays anyway).

There seems to be a message depicted on the roof of the house on the right of the photo, but I can't make out what it says at present. I will try and see if photoshop can clarify it at all.

It's probably early 1930's judging by the clothing, but is it an Easter parade? or an Orange Lodge parade? or maybe even a St.George's Day Parade.

bluto1 21:22 14 Mar 08

Hope you are ok now and in a better mood than earlier. Mind you, that youngster Bingalau does needle you a bit. I hope you enjoyed your sojourn away from the forum.
I'd say that the lady in the front who marked herself with a blue cross was the sender. I think it's a parade of like minded ladies (An ever present danger to us lads) probably nurses, they're on a morning march, headed in a northerly direction, to who knows where.
I cannot make out any men so they could be suffragettes on a victory march???
I've gone dry now, so I'm off. Look at all those hats.

Jim Thing 21:23 14 Mar 08

The word that's partly obscured by the word CARD on the 'writing' side looks like BLACKPOOL to me.

bluto1 21:26 14 Mar 08

Nice one, I agree.

Bingalau 21:28 14 Mar 08

bluto1. I heard that.... Thanks for the description as youngster, makes me feel better already.

The sign "Motors" looks to me like it could be on top of a funeral directors parlour.

There is at least one man in the foreground of the picture, wearing a typical 1930's style hat.

MAT ALAN 21:28 14 Mar 08

Don't think its any of them, i think its GPO0 which would suggest General Post Office, the, what looks like an L is too close to the last letter.

if you look at the K on the other side the letter behind P is not the same..

or i maybe completely wrong..

anskyber 21:29 14 Mar 08

Hartlepool does not have a street like that, Seaton Carew near Hartlepool is similar but would not have been linked to Hartlepool in those days.

My guess at the moment is Blackpool, the large sea promenade is like the one in this pic.

MAT ALAN 21:30 14 Mar 08

AHH!!! Me complete idiot, of course the letterink on the right could be Blackpool, i'll get me coat...

Bingalau 21:34 14 Mar 08

There is also an unusual shaped building near the top center, which appears to have a balcony with a couple of ladies standing there in all their finery, watching the proceedings below.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017