Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 6

Brumas 20:43 24 Mar 07

What type of machine is this rather bored looking young man operating? The machines in the background seem to be processing/washing some kind of fabric?

What do you think?

click here

bennyhillslovechild 21:21 24 Mar 07

The spindle to the chap's left should (our right) appears to have "raw" or unspun wool on it. So hazarding a guess at a wool/yarn mill.

bennyhillslovechild 21:21 24 Mar 07

That should of course, read "shoulder"

Bingalau 21:29 24 Mar 07

Is it some kind of printing machine perhaps?

WhiteTruckMan 21:44 24 Mar 07

looks like a carding machine, circa early 1900's.

WTM

Forum Editor 23:26 24 Mar 07

The machine behind him is a carding machine.

Brumas 23:45 24 Mar 07

I can see I am going to have to make these a little harder - this was solved in only two and threequarter hours ;o)

WhiteTruckMan 00:05 25 Mar 07

Solved in an hour actually. But it was pretty easy. what are you doing? going through the album? Just wondering if its idle curiosity or is there some sort of family connection to the pictures?

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 00:06 25 Mar 07

Note the complete lack of any kind of safety guards on the machine.

WTM

Bingalau 10:11 25 Mar 07

WTM. I think Brumas mentioned in his first postcard puzzle that he and his wife have a large collection of postcards. He just wants to tie down some of ones that have been puzzling him. I wonder what he will come up with next? Oh yes, pardon my ignorance but. What is a "Carding Machine"? I know I could look it up on Google, but then everybody wouldn't know how thick I am. I guess it is something to do with the fabrics industry but am waiting to be enlightened.

Brumas 11:26 25 Mar 07

I stand corrected with the time, I looked at the last not the first - duhh!

Safety guards, Safety guards, next you will be wanting to stop sending kids up the chimneys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…