Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 48

Brumas 09:11 15 Dec 07

I tried from 21:00 until 23:45 last night to log on to the forum but was unable to do so - better late than never!

I don’t think this is a grave memorial; it looks more like it is commemorating some historical personage/event or the like? It seems to be situated in someone’s private garden as opposed to a graveyard - some folk have garden gnomes as ornaments!

click here

laurie53 09:20 15 Dec 07

At last, one that I think I recognize.

Trouble is, I can't remember where I've seen it!

Main Access 09:21 15 Dec 07

its a ships figurehead

v1asco 09:23 15 Dec 07

It may be in the Gardens of retirement homes for seafarers. There were a few of these dotted around the country. The one in Cardif had nothing so elaborate, just a flag staff with the Ensign flying.

Judging by the cannon, may be more Royal than Merchant.

Of course, if the figurehead is from the Good Ship Venus that would be a whole new story and one that would get me barred for life should I dare repeat it!

Bingalau 09:43 15 Dec 07

Good Morning Brumas!.. I was out last night on the booze. Just a couple of rums to get rid of the last traces of my "Man's Flu" (Cold). So I never missed your contribution last night at all. Looking at this one it strikes me that it is a well looked after figure head. So maybe the local council are proud of it. Could it be situated in Tavistock, Devon? The birthplace of Sir Francis Drake.

crosstrainer 11:11 15 Dec 07

forum member may be aon the right track....But, to many details on the neck in his link...No chance of more detail on the plaque I suppose? :)

Woolwell 11:37 15 Dec 07

Think it is the Arethusa click here

Woolwell 11:40 15 Dec 07

Having said that the building behind doesn't look right

Coffee Adict 11:44 15 Dec 07

click here
Think maybe this was the image forum member was trying to link to.

Coffee Adict 11:46 15 Dec 07

Failed miserably - wanders off dejected. :o(

gudgulf 11:46 15 Dec 07

I'd say solved by fourm member.

click here

and click the picture gallery link on click here

It's definitely at the T S Arethusa.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos