Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 41

Brumas 21:58 16 Nov 07

click here

Whilst the roof line of the two blocks of flats on the right looks quite Eastern European I am pretty sure this is a British scene due to the style of the back of the card.
To me the scene looks like some kind of small manufacturing unit???

The header on the left hand side is “This space may be used for communication for Inland postage only (Post Office regulation)”

Whilst on the right hand side, inside the stamp space is written
“Postage, ½ d in Great Britain, 1d elsewhere in the Postal Union.”

Bingalau 22:29 16 Nov 07

Brumas. I can't understand why there is a gap in the balustrade of the balcony? Maybe for access or perhaps loading goods on or off the balcony. I have "lightened" the picture up a bit and the man on the balcony reminds me of my father. With all the rubbish in the yard and the packing cases in the shed, It could be a junk yard of some kind. Those chimneys are unusual but there are normal looking chimneys elsewhere in the picture. The postage prices you quote are pre WW2. I think postage for a letter at the start of the war was 1½d Postcards would have been cheaper of course. I will have a guess at a "Borstal" type of building for those in the background..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:53 16 Nov 07

two blocks of flats on the right looks quite Eastern European

I've only seen houses like that in Scotland

Macscouse 23:12 16 Nov 07

In those days, a Borstal type of building would have had a high retaining wall around it. The balcony looks very well made and expensive. The fencing on top of the wall is decorative and flimsy. The roofs in the background look northern European. A secure storeroom, perhaps.

Brumas 23:15 16 Nov 07

I saw lots of flats like those in Germany in the 60's.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:25 16 Nov 07

Yes have seen on continent (Holland) what I meant was have only seen simular in Scotland not rest of UK.

Brumas 23:29 16 Nov 07

Sorry, misunderstood your meaning.

lotvic 23:32 16 Nov 07

The roofs in the background are called Mansard (the ones with flat top)

Brumas 23:36 16 Nov 07

I like to learn something new every day and you have just filled my quota - thank you :o)

Coffee Adict 04:43 17 Nov 07

Why send a postcard of something which quite frankly is boring unless those buildings in the background have more significance than the foreground.

€dstowe 07:04 17 Nov 07

It may not have been a commercial postcard. It used to be possible to get photographic "postcard paper", that is ordinary photo printing paper of standard postcard size and with all the necessary "official" printing on the reverse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5