Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 33

Brumas 21:32 12 Oct 07

At last, something Bingalau might have a crack at ;o)
These two unposted, real photographic postcards seem to show a harbour scene in the ‘Med’ ?
The first shows quite a flotilla of ships against a Mediterranean? skyline whilst the second shows, what appears to be, some form of mini-gondola or harbour taxi.

click here

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:40 12 Oct 07

Looks like Malta

click here scroll down to 1940 pic and compare.

Brumas 21:51 12 Oct 07

By, that was quick, the first one is definitely
"3rd Flotilla of the Mediterranean Fleet in Valletta Harbour, Malta c.1935.Ships present are HMS Achates, HMS Active, HMS Acasta, HMS Arrow and HMS Ardent" as identified from your excellent link.

Brumas 21:54 12 Oct 07

I scrolled further down and saw
"A Dghajsa with a Royal Navy battleship behind it in Malta Harbour c.1920"

Well done mate!

Looks like I shall have to dig out another one!! Eight blinking minutes!!!!

rdave13 22:06 12 Oct 07

'Must make it harder for the sleuths' comes to mind..%(

Brumas 22:12 12 Oct 07

I don't pick them out, as one is solved I just blow the dust off the next one and carry on regardless.

Bingalau 22:12 12 Oct 07

Brumas. I never got a chance there either. But the minute I looked at it I guessed at Malta. Looks like No. 33 is winning in the Dghajsa race. Used to get ferried back on board by them after a good run down the "Gut". Sadly not a patch on the den of iniquity it used to be. (So I have been told).

Brumas 22:24 12 Oct 07

What's a Den of Iniquity? You have to remember that I am a clean living,God fearing,innocent ex Merchant Navy/Army type not an ex Bootie ;o)

bluto1 22:42 12 Oct 07

Cor! Blimey, where did he learn all those big words?

Brumas 22:52 12 Oct 07

Don't ask me - I'm still on my first Janet & John book!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…