Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 24

Brumas 14:49 18 Aug 07

A fantastic scene on a busy river with plenty of ships tied up. The back offers no clues and some one has trimmed the bottom of the postcard to fit in a picture frame or wallet?

It doesn’t look foreign to me, more like Great Britain or Ireland by the style of the telegraph poles, signal gantries and houses.

click here

TopCat® 14:58 18 Aug 07

Can't yet spot any signs or lettering anywhere. I would assume the sailing ships have to pass through the middle of that bridge to reach the sea or their upstream berths. TC.

TopCat® 15:10 18 Aug 07

Just spotted some letters on the roof of the fourth 'warehouse' at top right across the river.

Could be GS 37 or similar. TC.

Pineman100 15:41 18 Aug 07

I agree with you that UK or Ireland are distinct possibilities. The houses in the foreground do have a bit of an Irish look to them.

Here's a little puzzler. The piers holding up the bridge look much too close together to allow a ship of any size through - even the middle two, which are a bit further apart. It's also difficult to see any kind of mechanism that would lift, slide or rotate the centre span.

And yet there's a large ship moored in the distance, beyond the bridge, and you can just see the bow and fore-mast of another one peering into the right-hand edge of the picture.

So which ship is trapped upstream of the bridge?!

TopCat® 18:06 18 Aug 07

has to be another navigable inlet which cannot be seen from the photo. As to the location I have to admit to be stumped on this one! TC.

Brumas 18:21 18 Aug 07

The bridge upstream looks remarkably similar - am I going to actually solve this one myself - if so it will be the first time!!

click here

spuds 19:11 18 Aug 07

There is steep banking (similar to picture) at Waterford docks click here

Jim Thing 20:05 18 Aug 07

There seems to be lettering on the canopy(?) of the building with the arched roof just above the lower R/H corner. If I enlarge it a bit and stare at it long enough I can persuade myself that it reads B?RN????GAS CY.

john bunyan 20:38 18 Aug 07

Could it be Cork in Ireland? Looks vaguely familiar.

john bunyan 20:53 18 Aug 07

Have a look at the first Google image of "Cork City"

bobbyburtie 21:48 18 Aug 07

I think your right in thinking it's Waterford

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple