Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 13

Brumas 18:15 12 May 07

click here

Can anyone identify these three rather splendid automobiles in this iconic London scene? The postcard was posted in 1919 to Belgium.

One can just imagine the driver of the first vehicle moaning to the second
“If it gets anymore crowded around here they will have to limit the amount of vehicles allowed into the centre of London”

2nd.Driver “Yeh right, and they will abolish the 20 mph speed limit as well I suppose!”

Policeman, through clenched jaw “Bleedin’ Toffs, think they own the road – bring back the horse and cart is what I say!”

P.S. Not quite sure if that is WTM driving the vehicle on the right ;o)

Bingalau 18:27 12 May 07

My wife says "Can I have the number plate of the one nearest the camera please?" I'm wondering if the Vehicle License People in Swansea still have records of them?

Brumas 18:34 12 May 07

Duhh, I never thought of that!
I can make out the three numbers LN1354, LN1426 and LC9334 if that helps Mrs.B.

mark2 19:29 12 May 07

Almost sure they are Renaults around the 1905 - 1915 era the bonnets give it away

click here

click here

Brumas 19:56 12 May 07

Looks like that to me as well - well done for that rather too quick identification.

I shall have to make the next one harder - there is a likely, dusty looking,candidate lurking near the bottom of the pile. Let's see how you all are with buildings again??

algernonymous 20:59 12 May 07
  Brumas 21:10 12 May 07

I'm not just saying this, being wiser after the event, but I did originally have the policeman saying 'taxis' but decided on 'toffs'.

Thanks for the link.

wee eddie 21:12 12 May 07

That they are "Fleet" cars.

Taxi Cabs by any other name on Piccadilly Circus

Brumas 21:16 12 May 07

It's always the same, you can never find a taxi then, all of a sudden three come along - nothing seems to change!

WhiteTruckMan 00:37 13 May 07

but thats me. Not driving the taxi, but holding mothers hand (in front of the fountain). Having to wear my big sisters hand-me-downs never used to bother me, but after about 40 years I started wanting frocks of my own.

WTM

Brumas 09:11 13 May 07

I meant the truck! anyway I give up all hope on you now as your secret is public and you have lost all your air of mystery and intrigue ;o))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…