Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 11

Brumas 23:40 04 May 07

British warships in a foreign haven. The palm trees suggest The Med. but does anyone know exactly where or, if indeed they are British warships?

click here

laurie53 05:56 05 May 07

It's not too tropical.

Those houses have chimneys, and they look very British to me.

Palms grow along the south coast of course.

Bingalau 07:44 05 May 07

I must be going blind because I can't see any palm trees. I think it's a long time since the Royal Navy had three funnel ships too. Maybe some ex-RN lads on here will have a bit more knowledge of that. As laurie53 has said already the chimneys on the buildings indicate that it could be nearer the northern hemisphere. They could perhaps be German? or even Russian. Can't see any sign of a white ensign anywhere. I've been in a few ports but don't recognise this scenery at all.

Bingalau 07:46 05 May 07

Sorry, just looked again and spotted a few Palm trees.

octal 08:09 05 May 07

That looks like part of the German Pacific fleet of WWI those three funnel types look like the Königsberg class ships.

Woolwell 10:38 05 May 07

I think that it is an early photo of Gibraltar.

WhiteTruckMan 10:47 05 May 07

and my initial impression is that there must be some sizeable hills behind the camera judging from the angle of the shot. Unless It was taken from the air, which I would tend to discount given the level of flying and photography at around when this was taken-WW1 at the latest I would say.

I'll come back to this later when I have a bit more time.

WTM

Woolwell 10:56 05 May 07

Had a look at some of my 1960's photos of Gib and have come to the conclusion that this is Gibraltar probably around the First World War time. The inner jetty and some of the buildings were still present in the 1960's. If I'm correct the photo is taken from about where the apes are kept now.

Woolwell 10:57 05 May 07

Going away for the weekend so will be interested to see what others have to say on my return.

Brumas 12:44 05 May 07

I think you are more than likely right - I have compared some old views and there is more than a passing resemblance.

Now, about those warships?

Brumas 21:03 05 May 07

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5