Identification Longshot/Talking Point 331

Brumas 20:55 06 Aug 10

Good Evening All.
As visitors have just descended upon us I will not be able to be very interactive tonight it just wouldn’t be fair - they have driven over 240 miles!
I will however post two tonight, both genuine unidentified ones, to give you all something to get your teeth into - for those of you without teeth, improvise ;o}}
This is a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD, unposted and with just the normal bog standard back.
Is this a real aircraft, if so what type is it?
click here

Paddylad 21:10 06 Aug 10

That thieving pilot is wearing the cap I had at the 19 freezing cold meeting of the Society for the Preservation of Clay Pigeons when I was elected President. I'll get him.
The skids on the aircraft are too narrow for landing on water, suggesting perhaps snow.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:43 06 Aug 10

I think English or French circa 1912-15 click here

WhiteTruckMan 21:59 06 Aug 10

Havent seen one of those in nearly 30 years.

WTM

dukeboxhero 22:38 06 Aug 10

Evening Brumas is it an early Gypsy moth ?

Woolwell 23:11 06 Aug 10

A Gypsy Moth was a biplane.

This is a very early monoplane which may well have been controlled by wing warping.

ashdav 23:39 06 Aug 10

The plane looks like a variant of the Bleriot monoplane.
The early versions had an open tail structure whilst the later ones were skinned.
From around 1910-1913

Woolwell 23:42 06 Aug 10

The people at the Shuttleworth collection click here may know what it is.

ashdav 23:54 06 Aug 10

The engine looks like one of these click here

ashdav 00:19 07 Aug 10

Think it may be a Nieuport as they used the Y radial engine in some of their designs along with the aluminium fore structure.

Quickbeam 00:43 07 Aug 10

I agree with ashdav, it looks very Bleriot-ish, but I've never seen a 3 cylinder radial aero engine before only this Brough one click here I always thought radial aero engines came with between 5, 7 & 9 with the double 9 18 from Pratt & Witney much later.

The skids were common on a lot of planes of that era, I think simply to act as skids if the wheels got bogged into soft ground.

The hat though, will blow straight of unless he turns it back to front, a fashion adopted in the late '80s with baseball caps, but I don't think they flew primitive planes..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…