Identification Longshot/Talking Point 200

Brumas 21:03 21 Aug 09

Good Evening All
I don’t think this location will be too hard to identify however, as the naval vessels are NOT named on the postcard I shall be relying on all you beached fish-heads to identify these two rather fine, sleek examples of the ‘Grey Funnel’ line ;o)
click here

bluto1 21:22 21 Aug 09

D35 is decorated with enough bunting to alert every young lady in town that there's a reception on board tonight. Look out girls, it's a trick to get youclose to the hammocks. I wonder if that old pre war Moggie is still running.
We've got one ship icentified by a bow number, the Captain's Moggie moving sedately along the quay so surely one of our "Hearts of Oak" can sort this one.

bluto1 21:23 21 Aug 09

for icentified read identified.

Brumas 21:37 21 Aug 09

I have just enlarged the image and find that is actually the D195, if that helps?
Also on the gantry to the right there is some kind of home-made painted circular disk showing a king between two lions on the deck of a sailing ship - some type of 'Navy Day' perhaps, it doesn't say on the card.

Macscouse 21:41 21 Aug 09

Congratulations on your double century. Keep 'em coming.

Jak_1 21:43 21 Aug 09

Definately the Westcountry, possibly Dartmouth with two destroyers the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's. Unfortunately I can only make out the D in the penant number of the rear destroyer. Both ships are 'Dressed Overall', a ceremonial state of the ship and not a normal routine.

john bunyan 21:50 21 Aug 09

CH was a Cardiff number plate - not sure of CHE. Before 1963 - try Cardiff? or somewhere in Wales.

Jak_1 21:54 21 Aug 09

Further to my last, looks like HMS Diamond modified for the 'DTS' (Dartmouth Training Squadron.

click here

Brumas 21:57 21 Aug 09

Well Done. It is Dartmouth.

Brumas 21:59 21 Aug 09

I will leave this open on the chance we might get corroboration on the identity of the destroyers.

Brumas 22:03 21 Aug 09

Cheers for that mate, I'll certainly try!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…