Identification Longshot/Talking Point 116

Brumas 22:56 03 Oct 08

Good Evening All.
This is a genuine unidentified postcard that has just come into my wife’s possession, so I am in the same boat as the rest of you.
I cannot identify the regimental badge, which I have enlarged as best I could, however I can recognise the symbol hanging from the right-hand breast pocket of the sergeant on the left and I am a little mystified as to why he is wearing it and how indeed he got away with it!!!
click here click here

ayrmail 23:04 03 Oct 08
  ayrmail 23:06 03 Oct 08
  ayrmail 23:12 03 Oct 08

The motif seems to have first been used in Neolithic India. The symbol has an ancient history in Europe, appearing on artifacts from pre-Christian European cultures. In antiquity, the swastika was used extensively by the Indo-Aryans, Persians, Hittites, Slavs, Celts and Greeks, among others. In particular, the swastika is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Mithraism, religions with a total of more than a billion adherents worldwide, making the swastika ubiquitous in both historical and contemporary society. The symbol was introduced to Southeast Asia by Hindu kings and remains an integral part of Balinese Hinduism to this day, and it is a common sight in Indonesia. It is also used by several Native American cultures.[

TopCat® 23:12 03 Oct 08

The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding) - used to be their collar badge and they served in India.

The pocket badge you refer to was a symbol of good luck to the Indians, so the sergeant probably had permission to wear it inconspicuously. Just my opinion. TC.

Scroll down to the bottom of this click here

Brumas 23:17 03 Oct 08

Well Done.

WhiteTruckMan 23:20 03 Oct 08

Could that be Brumas's thumbprint?

WTM

Brumas 23:22 03 Oct 08

Well done also. I was aware of the more innocent uses of that symbol, had I known the regiment had associations with India I may have put two and two together and not gone off 'half -cocked' and there again I might not have :o))

ayrmail 23:23 03 Oct 08

Google, wikipedia and a new browser tool browse3d to thank.

Brumas 23:33 03 Oct 08

Not guilty M'Lud, It wasn't me, I was miles away from the NAAFI that day and have witnesses to back me up. You will be hearing from my vakeel in the morning.

Brumas 23:59 03 Oct 08

I checked the regimental website and found it very interesting. I have sent them a copy just in case they wish to include it in their archives/gallery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…