.Identification Longshot/Talking Point 100

Brumas 20:58 08 Aug 08

Good Evening All
click here
This should bring back a few memories to a few folk :o)

Bingalau 21:10 08 Aug 08

That looks a bit like Semaphore Tower in Pompey to me...

Brumas 21:11 08 Aug 08

Well done. Dockyard and Harbour,Portsmouth.

Bingalau 21:13 08 Aug 08

But I don't think the railway line ran over the water like that, mind you it may have done in its early days. Some jack-me-hearty will know where it is no doubt.

Bingalau 21:19 08 Aug 08

One of the old sailors on here may identify the Four Funnelled B.....d for us. I seem to remember we used to sing a song which had the line in it "This four funnelled B.....d is getting me down". Yes Jack, I do know the rest of the words too.

Chris the Ancient 11:51 09 Aug 08

...(just a bit late - coz I knew this one).

A slight history on the railway line...

I used to have a print of a panoramic view covering the area. What is now Portsmouth Harbour Station is a dead end. However, and I'm not sure when it stopped, the line then used to go through and over the water into the dockyard itself. Again, slightly uncertain as it's ages since I saw the picture, I have a feeling that their was either a swing or lifting bridge so that ships could get into that bit of water.

Research coming up.

Chris the Ancient 12:25 09 Aug 08

click here And you can see the railway going from the Harbour Station (at the top of the picture) as it loops past the Gosport Ferry pier.

click here shows it from the other direction. And through the haze of smoke, it looks as though there is a gap in the railway where I seem to remember that there was some sort of way of letting boats through.

Research seems to show that the railway to the dockyard was built in 1860 and

click here reveals that the railway 'went' in the Second World War.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…