Identification Longshot and Talking Point 871

Brumas 22:46 PM 19 Apr 13

Good Evening All.

I’ll finish off with a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD but which is really a TALKING POINT as I don’t think the ship could possibly be identified.

click here

Woolwell 22:48 PM 19 Apr 13

It's a part of the ship's steering.

Woolwell 22:49 PM 19 Apr 13

You're right about being unable to identify the ship.

onthelimit1 22:59 PM 19 Apr 13

jock1e - I think you mean Marie Celeste!

The wheel on the right looks damaged, and there are two further hubs on the shaft.

Repair facility?

Woolwell 23:01 PM 19 Apr 13

Judging by the clips on the door then it is an entrance to a watertight compartment. Similar clips were used on RN ships until quite recently.

Woolwell 23:05 PM 19 Apr 13

It is damaged. I guess that there would have been 3 ship's wheels in place. But I think that this is the emergency steering position and the chain may have led to the main steering position.

Brumas 23:18 PM 19 Apr 13

Woolwell I am of the same opinion as I'm pretty sure when I did basic training on T.S. Vindicatrix (an old sailing hulk) there was a similar arrangement which was used to teach the Deck trainees.

Brumas 23:30 PM 19 Apr 13

I'm turning in, G'Night All.

Woolwell 12:26 PM 20 Apr 13

The rope running up the centre of the ladder used to be fairly common when the side handrails were not in place. There is gearing after the vertical tube which I think may be the base of a mast.

Woolwell 12:55 PM 20 Apr 13

I think that it is a badly stowed hammock on the desk.

A moustached man on a ship is a rarity.

Woolwell 13:00 PM 20 Apr 13

HMS Caroline's tiller flat

It's not a match but gives an indication of what the steering gear may have looked like with all 3 wheels in place.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites