Identification Longshot and Talking Point 722

Brumas 31 Aug 12
Answered

Good Evening All.

Another two chances...then I am turning in.

click here

Brumas 31 Aug 12

I'm turning now folks, I can't keep my eyes open much longer, G'Night All.

A clue, TOWIE.

john bunyan 31 Aug 12
Answer

Ongar, Essex

john bunyan 31 Aug 12

Budworth Hall Ongar Essex Budworth

jellyhead 01 Sep 12

Looks like a good call JB

Brumas 01 Sep 12

john bunyan, Well Done, High Street and Budworth Hall, Ongar.

Brumas 01 Sep 12

john bunyan, go on, admit it, it was my fantastically, subtle cryptic clue that helped you ;o}}

john bunyan 01 Sep 12

Brumas

Thanks for TOWIE but a) I do not watch it, b) I was typing at the time!

That area was an old stamping ground in the mid '50's. I do like your clues, though.

morddwyd 01 Sep 12

Totally irrelevant story about the name Ongar.

"Ongar" was the airborne torpedo world's equivalent of TSR2.

An all singing all dancing weapon, well ahead of its time (50s), and years in advance of any rival system.

In my opinion we didn't get anywhere near the same level of sophistication until Stingray in the 80s..

Cancelled during development to save money (now where have I heard that before?).

It was called Ongar because Ongar was the last station on the tube line, and it was supposed to be the end of the line for airborne torpedo development.

It very nearly was for we then spent twenty years buying licences from the US (Mk44, Mk46), and lost all our engineering and design expertise.

john bunyan 01 Sep 12

morddwyd

I think that was the Mk 24 Tigerfish? See Tigerfish

I heard from a sub tiffy, maybe wrongly, that the S/M Conqueror deceided to use Mk 8's rather than the less reliable Mk 24's to sink the Belgrano?

Brumas 01 Sep 12

john bunyan, hell's teeth old pal, I wouldn't watch that kind of rubbish if you paid me - I was referring to "I can't keep my eyes open much longer" - longer/ongar, yup, I told you it was bad ;o}

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message