Identification Longshot and Talking Point 1022

Brumas 23:18 17 Jan 14
Answered

Good Evening All

This is A GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD the only clue being a very faint Lincoln written in pencil on the back.

click here

I'm turning in now folks, G'Night All.

Quickbeam 08:38 18 Jan 14

It must be the view from the golf club gateway...

Quickbeam 09:42 18 Jan 14

The crow stepped gable on the right is usually associated with northern/Scottish buildings, maybe it was just a Scottish merchants taste for a homely style.

The other buildings are built with fairly narrow stone layers of what looks like natural stone common in a lot of cottages in the Lincs Wolds as that stone is plentiful in thinish layers.

Two of the prominent buildings have round windows in the gable ends which is another feature that you see a lot in that area (I wonder why that is?).

Quickbeam 09:44 18 Jan 14

If it is Lincoln, there are plenty of impressive stone parish churches in the borough with it being a cathedral city.

Quickbeam 10:12 18 Jan 14

Jock1e

I think you have it there. At first glance I would say it wasn't the cathedral by all the angles I've previously seen it.

Nontek 10:30 18 Jan 14

Hmm, the car Reg appears to be for Surrey!

Woolwell 10:52 18 Jan 14

I don't think that it is Lincoln Cathedral in the background. The arch in the tower doesn't seem to be there in Lincoln Cathedral.

Woolwell 10:57 18 Jan 14

Just seen another shot of Lincoln Cathedral from the south and the window is present. So the street could be to the south of the cathedral.

Woolwell 11:00 18 Jan 14

Could be Danesgate. From street view there is a building with a round window which looks very similar.

Quickbeam 11:30 18 Jan 14

Woolwell

It will be to the south as the cathedral and castle is at the top of a south facing hill dominating the city and skyline.

To the north it levels out to a plateau where the dead straight A15 Ermine street runs north.

Ermine Street is now not so dead straight because of a wartime diversion to swing around the extended runway of RAF Scampton where heavy Lancasters including the Dambusters flew from. In the film you will see them overflying the cathedral in the descending dusk light in the bombardier's view.

Quickbeam 12:42 18 Jan 14

If it is Lincoln, it has to be from the east as the twin towers are at the front south facing facade. But if you look at the images on this link, there doesn't seem to be enough stone work.

But the rest of the detail looks right. Who lives near enough to nip out and have a look!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5