Identification longshot - number 4

Brumas 23:21 11 Mar 07

I should imagine this will not pose too much of a problem for those of you who live/work in London.

Does this fine imposing building on the Finchley Road still exist – if so what is it used for?

click here click here

I'm going to bed now so I'll check on the progress tomorrow morning - no doubt it will have been cracked by then ;o)

Forum Editor 23:32 11 Mar 07

Yes, it is still there, and when I last took any notice it was being used by the local authority as an arts centre or something like that. It used to have a rather nice sculpture outside - a person (or it may have been two people) sitting on a park bench.

Why do you want to know, if you don't mind me asking?

Brumas 23:46 11 Mar 07

Plain old curiosity - that's all. I don't know if you read my first longshot - it is just an excuse to exercise the grey cells and try to identify the pile of old postcards my wife has set aside as being unidentifiable - stubborn as well!

Forum Editor 23:57 11 Mar 07

I see.

I drive past that building at least twice a week, and I hardly notice it any more.

Brumas 11:06 12 Mar 07

I don't suppose you know what the number or name of the building is and what it was originally used for a hundred years ago?

It is postmarked Hampstead Dec 24 1906 and my wife just wondered if it was a private hospital or sanitorium?
It was published by S. Porter, 132 & 134 Finchley Road.

Brumas 20:37 12 Mar 07

^

Bingalau 21:31 12 Mar 07

Brumas. Don't know London at all well, I used to know the route from Euston Station to Waterloo station, which I walked many a night when returning from leave on the way to Pompey. But that building looks familiar. Did I walk past it on that route? (Too lazy to find a map and look).

Forum Editor 22:52 12 Mar 07

I'll certainly take a look at the number of the building, and I'll make a point of finding out what it's used for now.

I have to attend a reception in central London on Thursday evening, so I'll probably do it then.

Brumas 23:12 12 Mar 07

Thank you very much, I shall look forward to the results of your endeavours.

Brumas 23:15 12 Mar 07

Thanks for trying anyway :o)

Brumas 18:33 17 Mar 07

Did you manage to find anything more about the building? I only ask so that I can greentick and ponder over my next offering - I appreciate you lead a pretty hectic life so perhaps you didn't have the the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…