ID cards = Bad News!

LastChip 22:55 19 Oct 05

says Microsoft's Jerry Fishenden -well almost ;-)

All joking apart, he is seriously worried about various aspects of this half baked idea (my interpretation), not least of which is having a central server amassing everyone's personal details. click here

To say it would be a magnet for hackers, must surely be an understatement! And with the UK governments appalling record for IT implementation, would you feel safe?

ade.h 23:31 19 Oct 05

On the face of it, I'm not at all averse to the iD card idea. However, when we look at it in more detail, we see that it is so fraught with potential problems that I really hope tha the government holds off on it at least for long enough that things might improve.

As you point out, no server database is totally immune, not just to identity theft, but to unreliability, data loss and good old user error. And yes, recent history does not bode well for a successful and seamless implementation.

All in all, real cause for concern.

ade.h 23:34 19 Oct 05

And on an unrelated note, I really don't like these sponsored links that increasingly litter our postings. This thread has quickly become a prime example. I don't begrudge PCA some outside income to keep this valuable resource up and running, but you really have to be careful where you push your mouse if you want to read the thread! Could they pop up to one side of the window perhaps?

Forum Editor 23:38 19 Oct 05

associated with any computer-based storage system, but then there are even worse risks associated with storage systems that aren't computer-based.

First of all, ask yourself if the proposed ID card will contain any confidential data that aren't already stored elsewhere anyway. All your credit card and bank details are already stored on computer systems, as are your tax records, your driving licence details, your criminal record (if you have one) details of all your debts, details of your personal spending habits, your shopping patterns, your probable political leanings, your academic qualifications, your credit rating............the list is endless.

There is very little about most of us that isn't stored on a database somewhere, and as I've already said - all computer based records are vulnerable to unauthorised access. The fact of having an ID card is not going to increase the risk of a hacker getting hold of private information - that risk already exists. Other countries have had ID cards for ages, and you don't hear of a constant stream of ID card database hacks around the world.

So, somebody has come up with a scare story about hackers finding out your name, address and date of birth - big deal. The government hasn't even announced a final decision about what information these cards will hold yet, so let's all calm down and forget about new hacker magnets for the moment - there are plenty of those about already.

Forum Editor 23:41 19 Oct 05

If you didn't have the ads that "increasingly litter our postings" I can assure you that there wouldn't be any postings to litter - we would very rapidly be off the air.

When the day comes that you (and tens of thousands of others) fancy paying an annual subscription to access the forum let me know, and we'll talk seriously about removing the ads.

DieSse 01:03 20 Oct 05

As I see it, there are two major problems with ID cards - one of principle, the other of practicality.

Practicality - As ID cards come in, they will be adopted as the *proof of who you are*.

Criminals will forge them - that's a given. They will then with one card, be able to prove they are someone else, with virtually certain acceptance.

The other is a Civil Liberty issue. IMHO opinion citizens are the nation - not governments. As a citizen I would claim the right not to be required to have, or to carry, identification which needed to be produced by *the authorities* on demand (make no mistake that it will come to that, or any utility that ID cards have will be totally negated).

In addition, this is clearly the *thin end of the wedge* - once initiated, there will be no resisting the temptation to use them for more and more data, and more and more nefarious activities. Maybe not yet for a while - but it will come....

€dstowe 06:57 20 Oct 05

The "proof of who you are" rubbish is a complete red herring to try and persuade those "weak of reason" that these cards are a "good thing"

The ony thing that possession of an identity card does is prove that you have an identity card.

I am certain that factories are already set up in preparation to manufacture illegal identity cards on a large scale. These factories are most likely be houses in the leafy suburbs Heathrow, Gatwick and every other international port and airport in the country - as has been already demonstrated in various TV programmes on passport and bank card forging.

DANZIG 10:52 20 Oct 05

As FE said, there is plenty of information already stored out there on us as it is. So there is one arguement against having the things in the first place, there is no need for them!!

The human rights bleaters who go on about loss of civil liberties and stuff really have no arguement as various companies have this information and more besides already. I'll bet we've all got a loyalty card of some description that allows a supermarket access to what we buy, when we buy it and where we buy it. From this information they can garner information of where we live, what we drive, how much we drink, how much we earn, what pets we have, when we get paid, what credit cards we have...the list is endless.

Its a scary thought because no doubt the governments IT protection would be pretty top notch (hopefully) compared to a supermarkets but yet we don't get all hot and sweaty about getting £2.50 off our shopping for every £500 we spend.

I've not seen many human rights sheep standing outside Sainsburys shouting "Reward points are the work of Satan" or some other civil liberties nonsense.

DANZIG 11:25 20 Oct 05

Ooops! Should have added after my Sainsbury's remark ....."Other supermarkets are available".

Can't be too careful these days, you don't know who's watching..

spuds 11:54 20 Oct 05

Most of the scare mongering is in the cost of activating this ID system. At one stage it was above the £100 figure [which everyone would have to pay]to a recent government quote of about £30 for a basic ID to £90 for a basic ID including international passport. One major novelty is that the experts including government are saying that they do not have a system ready and able to cope in providing these ID's.

I remember my previous UK government ID card, that was supplied free in the 1940's. Brown bit of card with my name and number. How technology as changed ;0)

ade.h 12:33 20 Oct 05

Please don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining about the presence of sponsored links. I appreciate that they are fundamental to the way in which this forum is managed. I am not against advertising itself.

However, it would be more practical if either a) they were click links rather than hover links, or b) the pop-up appeared somewhere to the right. It's worse when there is a link in the thread title and you trigger it while heading for My Postings. The pop-up then covers the link that you're trying to reach!

It's not a big issue to lose any sleep over, but it is an annoyance.

And in answer to your second comment; actually, I would gladly pay an annual subscription to use what is often described as one of the best computing forums available. I already pay for access to a news website at £30 per year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…