ID cards

Si_L 19:37 06 May 09

click here

Looks like Manchester will be the guinea pigs for these new ID cards. Frankly, I have no problems with them, but £60 for them?! Thats madness.

robgf 19:55 06 May 09

"This charge has yet to be decided, but the Home Office says it hopes it will be "competitive", and reports have put the total cost at about £60".

Competitive compared to what? My library card was free, lol.

I would love to know how the scheme protects us against "criminals, illegal immigrants and terrorists". Will such people have terrorist etc, written where it says occupation?

Belatucadrus 19:56 06 May 09

With the whole scheme being voluntary (can you see many volunteers coughing up £60 for a card you don't have to buy ?) The Conservatives have undertaken to scrap it if they get in. This is pointless posturing at a time when we could well do without it.

laurie53 20:08 06 May 09

I suspect that, like credit/bank cards, within hours cloned cards will be available to "criminals, illegal immigrants and terrorists" on the internet.

peter99co 20:20 06 May 09

I thought concerns about the cost of providing biometric data and fingerprints needed on cards
could add an estimated £29 on top of the £30 cost of the card.

I also thought I had seen that Jacqui Smith will be axed in the next reshuffle.

peter99co 20:28 06 May 09

The cost of the cards will be capped at £30 for the two years but once retailers are brought in to collect the data stores will be able to charge for processing it, with the total cost to applicants expected to be £60 per card.

click here

Al94 20:41 06 May 09

I will never, repeat never purchase an ID card

Si_L 22:39 06 May 09

The problem is, how long will it be before this rolls out across the whole country, and then no longer becomes voluntary? I suppose if that happens the whole scheme will be shot down as a form of tax.

DieSse 23:10 06 May 09

Anyone that shells out £60 on a voluntary basis on a card that the next Conservative government has pledged to scrap, has more money than sense.

If very few actually buy into this, it'll force it's demise and save billions. Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

Forum Editor 23:47 06 May 09

Never say never - it has a habit of coming back to bite you.

If you want a passport (which is a form if ID) you have to pay for it, and if you have a driving licence (another form of ID) you have to pay for that, too. Sooner or later ID cards will become compulsory, and if it happens in your lifetime you will find yourself doing what you said you will never, repeat never do - you'll be paying for an ID card.

It happens in other countries, and it will most certainly happen here one day.

WhiteTruckMan 00:00 07 May 09

whole new ways of losing my personal data. Just because I have nothing to hide doesn't mean I want my personal informaton bandied about because some idiot government employee left papers on a train, posted my detils on a cdrom, made convenient copies on a usb stick or whatever innovative new level of incompetance they anage to come up with.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…