the ICSTIS Jest!

jack 14:55 17 Feb 06

My daughter managed to collected a rogue dialer and got the inflated phones bills ffor her trouble - includinmg a single call to Chile for £45.
See click here
She got in touch with Bt installed a 0900 bar and then in touch with ICSTIS- Who wrote back with a very dense letter, laying down the how and why's which I am trying to get an handle on.
But the fun part comes at the end where they write [here I paraphrase] "In order to make a claim for redress in respect of any calls you will have to write to the ISP"[and here comes the joke bit]
The address of the ISP is given as in Andorra
and the person with a middle eastern name-
Whats the chances do you reckon?

Meanwhile I have brought the machine home[ its a P11 Gateway] to re-incarnate from my Bitza box - I hope.

jack 08:24 18 Feb 06

Bump

De Marcus™ 10:37 18 Feb 06

Andorra appears to be a legitimate ISP, give it a whirl, you never know, you might just get the money back.

spuds 11:52 18 Feb 06

If you contact the ISP in Andorra, they may act on your concern. But you may find that quite a number of these scams originate from certain well known 'hotspots' around the globe.

The actual person involved on this scam, could be located in perhaps Bexley Heath, Kent.

Send an email to the ISP, and see what response you get.

De Marcus™ 12:12 18 Feb 06

Sorry jack, I misread your post.

jack 14:06 18 Feb 06

Spuds
We are giving a go nowt to lose, but it does seem all a little bit ambivalent.
Having said that a friend on NTL- did in fact get redress- whether from NYL or 'Andorra' I know not
Will have to check.

De Marcus
That's OK- I do it all the time - haven't you noticed?

keef66 14:52 20 Feb 06

We tried the same in response to an Icstis investigation. Our tormentors apparently reside in Italy, so we were slightly optimistic, EU and all that. Turned out to be a complete waste of time. E-mails ignored and so was snail mail.

Never tried getting the money back from NTL. Maybe I should?

We're safe from diallers now we're on broadband, but I still find it hard to believe that this kind of robbery is either legal, or if not, impossible to punish the wrongdoers. Our dialler(s) appeared to have resulted from the kids visiting sites for game reviews / cheats / downloads, which suggests the b******s deliberately target those most likely to click without thinking or reading.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to make sure that changing the way a pc dials can only be done manually??

jack 23:02 20 Feb 06

What winds me up is the fact the owners of the 0900 numbers that rip us off legally or otherwise are our dear friends BT.
Now if you were the landlord of a property used as a brothel - I do not think somehow the powers that be would let you sit back to collect the rent scot free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…