I wonder why

Apron 16:18 23 Nov 06

If there are Kelts and keltic stones and keltic crosses, why is the football team called Seltic?

This question only makes sense in writing if it is spelled phonetically. "You say either and I say either let's call the whole thing off" is meaninglass on paper

Totally-braindead 16:21 23 Nov 06

May I ask you what football team is called Seltic cos I've never heard of them and regarding Kelts have a read of this click here

BigRik 16:30 23 Nov 06

Assuming I'm on the same wavelength as you, you should find your answer here: click here

ezypcy 16:33 23 Nov 06

Never mind all that shat(chat)

Celtic 1 United 0

I was in a win ,win situation.

ezypcy 16:35 23 Nov 06

Celtic , Manchester United

Testing to see who is underlined and why?

Apron 16:50 23 Nov 06

Oh dear, I was just wondering why they all have a hard c except the team which has a soft one.

Thank you for that BigRik, we live and learn. Obviously not a football fan am I?

Apron 16:52 23 Nov 06

Perfect fourm member. Thank you very much.

BigRik 17:09 23 Nov 06

Your welcome Apron. I realised EXACTLY what you were asking once I'd posted, but I wasn't too disheartened as I thought that once a bit of history behind the name had been read, you (and I!) might have been able to start piecing together the reason behind the pronunciation.

I for one figured that the way the name is pronounced probably had something to do with other peoples in the past.

Thanks indeed fourm member. Now we know!

Forum Editor 18:44 23 Nov 06

and I've always pronounced the word with a hard C - as in 'Kelt'. My father (100% Celt) did the same, and his father too.

Forum Editor 23:35 23 Nov 06

This seems to deal with it fairly neatly:-

The pronunciation of the ancient Greek word does not determine how the modern English word is pronounced. The word was copied in English from either the Latin "celticus" or the French "celtique" which in its turn came from the Latin. The Latin word is believed to have been copied from the Greek.

Both the Greek and the Latin words were pronounced with the "k" sound, the French with the "s" sound. The regular English pronunciation of "ce-" words derived from French or Latin is with the "s" sound. This word, at least outside Scotland, was predominantly pronounced with the "s" sound as recently as the 1960s but there has been a movement towards the "k" sound except for the Scottish soccer team which is always pronounced with the "s". The Concise Oxford Dictionary has changed its first preference from the "s" sound to the "k" sound in recent editions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now