I was surprised to learn

karmgord 19:52 29 Jul 10

I was surprised to learn that PCs (computers not police constables) are responsible for creating more green house emissions than all the worlds aircraft.

Quickbeam 19:59 29 Jul 10

Thought that it was bovine emissions that were accredited with the greatest rise in greenhouse gases...

spikeychris 20:02 29 Jul 10

The production of PC's give off GHG's but I would like to see evidence of your suggestion.

tullie 20:07 29 Jul 10

There would be more cows than computers.

karmgord 20:07 29 Jul 10

Heard it on radio 4 for what its worth.

jack 20:45 29 Jul 10

In its own right.
First there is the the 'News' this is followed by the ensuing debate-
Ban it I say - Bah Humbug. {-{

PalaeoBill 21:25 29 Jul 10

The argument is that both account for around 2% of annual CO2 emissions. There are 2 problems with the comparison.
1. It assumes that the electricty being burned by the PCs is being generated from fossil fuel. This isn't true, much of it is nuclear.
2. The CO2 released by power stations has to make its way into the upper atmosphere and much of it never gets there as it is washed out by weather and ends up dissolved in the worlds oceans. The CO2 released by aircraft engines is largely done above the clouds at 30 thousand feet, which is the worst possible place to put it. It has a much easier route into the upper atmosphere and does a great deal more damage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac