I think we should beef about this!

peter99co 22:04 01 May 08

British Beef in the news again except it's not British.

click here

These people don't miss a trick when they take your money out of your wallet do they?

wiz-king 22:10 01 May 08

I remember a few years ago when Argentinian corned beef was off the menu I bought some 'Botswana corned cattle meat' and it was delicious, more tasty the corned beef.

jakimo 22:22 01 May 08

I remember at the time my butcher saying that the quality of Botswana beef left a lot to be desired,or words to that effect

Stuartli 23:26 01 May 08

The small survey involved showed that 20 per cent of establishments involved didn't serve/passed off meat as British beef.

Even so, it's not acceptable.

laurie53 07:37 02 May 08

I saw one spokesperson saying the labelling regulations were "confusing".

Yes, I can quite see difficult it is to decide if Botswana falls into the category of "local" or not.

BT 07:49 02 May 08

This has been going on for ages. Its all to do where the last processing occurred. So if whole carcasses are imported then butchered and packed in UK they can be labelled as British.

"The main contention is the rule under section 36 of the Trade Descriptions Act 1968, that states: “Goods are deemed to have been manufactured or produced in the country in which they last underwent a treatment or process resulting in a substantial change.” "

Cymro. 11:28 02 May 08

It may be that at least some of the 20% of catering establishments who served foreign meat were themselves unaware that it was not British meat.

Who is to say where the scam took place. Was it the importer, the wholesaler or the restaurant itself?

kingisangus 11:37 02 May 08

It's not a case that 20% of premises did not serve British meat, its that they advertised foreign meat as British, totally different.

Stuartli 13:31 02 May 08

Perhaps you should read my posting again, especially the point "..passed off meat as British beef."

Can't make it any more clear with relation to the particular survey (I'd seen it before on BBC News 24 in a report detailing the corporation's survey).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…