I lost my father on friday night

WhiteTruckMan 00:41 07 Jan 07

When we found him in the morning he was sat on the edge of the bed. Apparently he got up in the middle of the night, returned to bed and as he sat down he suffered a massive cerebral haemorrhage and died upright.

He was the only survivor of his generation. As a young man during the war, he along with the rest of his family were rounded up and sent to a camp. He was picked for a working detail straight off the train, while his parents and younger sisters were sent for delousing.

The name of the camp was Dachau.

Obviously, he survived. He returned to his birthplace and found himself ostracised
for being the only one to survive. He left, never to return, and came to this country,
working the steel in south wales initially.

Outwardly, the only sign of his past was the tattoo on the inside of his arm. He also spoke about his experiences, and also wrote an account which he sent to “people who would be interested”. Among his papers we found a collection of unseen, unnamed pictures, with a note saying they were to burned along with him, which we will do, although at the moment we don’t know whether to make copies or not.

I don’t know if anyone will read this, but I just want the world to know he was here for a while. In his own words, he wasn’t anyone special. He wasn’t a hero. Or anyone you would give a second glance to in the street. He was just an ordinary man.

Rest in peace, at last.

beeuuem 00:55 07 Jan 07

My deepest sympathy. My mother died in a similar fashion four years ago.
Apart from the sadness of dying alone a swift passage can be a blessing.
Anyone who could survive the terrors of a death camp and then resume life is remarkable.
I share your hope that he is peace.
B

chocolate cake 01:15 07 Jan 07

My sympathies also.

It is your decision regarding the photos, of course, but memories and images of that time in history should never be forgotten.

lisa02 01:16 07 Jan 07

My deepest sympathy to you and your family WhiteTruckMan.

Best wishes,

Lisa.

ed-0 01:20 07 Jan 07

Sorry to hear of your sad loss.

Thinking of you M8.

ed-0

rodriguez 01:55 07 Jan 07

Brought a tear to my eye WhiteTruckMan - my Grandad died in simialar circumstances. Got up one night with stomach pains, sat in the chair and died there and then. My other grandad had Parkinson's disease and died in the nursing home he had to stay in. I can understand the pain this must have caused you.

laurie53 04:47 07 Jan 07

No-one who survived Dachau could be regarded as an "ordinary man"

RIP at last

Laurie

Watchful 07:03 07 Jan 07

Sincere sympathies to you and yours. He would appear to have been a very special man indeed and may he rest in peace.
Sylvia.

Giant68 08:01 07 Jan 07

Deepest sympathies to you, WhiteTruckMan, my father died in 2001, another survivor of war, so to certain extent I understand the way you feel.

Giant68

Forum Editor 09:01 07 Jan 07

Perhaps you'll decide to keep copies of those photographs - so future family members can see them.

Brumas 09:23 07 Jan 07

Please accept our heartfelt condolences
from Mr & Mrs Brumas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…