I know what you meant to say but ............

laurie53 08:11 11 May 07

A senior manager once wrote on my annual fitness report "This man does not suffer fools gladly, as I know from personal experience" (One of the best compliments I've ever been paid!).

Any other (genuine) examples of someone getting it slightly wrong at their own expense?

Laurie

v1asco 09:05 11 May 07

"Does not suffer fools gladly" was a phrase I thought acceptable until, after being bullied at work I did some research before presenting my case. This phrase was used as a typical example of a bully!

I was surprised at this, as I had used it frequently in a 'freindly' manner. Reading your statement it still seems innocent to me. Read in another manner it implies you are a bully, which I am sure was not the intention of the Author.

I used to have certificates signed by the Captain after every trip on a ship concerning my abilities. One section was Sobriety. The stock reply to this was "to my entire satisfaction". Then quite a few Captains saw the world through the bottom of a Gin Bottle!

Totally-braindead 13:21 11 May 07

I once got a school report card and the section for PE (Physical Education) had it on " Paul is not good at any sport but he puts in a lot of effort to anything he tries, if some of the ones who are good at sport put in half the effort he does they would be professionals".
I thought that was pretty good considering I was useless at everything.

Woolwell 15:04 11 May 07

I once received a report which stated "tries hard to remain average". Many years later I'm still cannot decide whether it was insult or compliment.

Forum Editor 15:34 11 May 07

when I was much younger I worked in the IT department of a huge multi-national group. I was a relatively small fish in an enormous pool, but ambitious, and I got the chance to spend a morning with one of the main board directors, to explain my thoughts about future IT strategies.

He suggested lunch, and we talked over several large glasses of Chablis, which didn't help my mental agility much. I was mid-way into explaining something fairly elementary about network topology when he stopped me and said "you don't have to start with the basics, I'm not as stupid as I look, you know" Quick as a flash I replied "I'm sure you're not, sir".

spuds 16:44 11 May 07

In the school that I attended, we had a teacher who was noted for his abrupt manner. In my final report, he wrote "This boy will not go far". A few years later, I passed by him in the road. He was still struggling to ride his old bike to school, and went by in a rather nice paid for new motor car.

Still think of that, with a smile :O)

wee eddie 16:46 11 May 07

I always wish I had the ability to turn a "bon mot".

However they usually occur to me about 10 minutes later. Rats!!!!

spuds 16:46 11 May 07

"I went by"

Forum Editor 16:54 11 May 07

the single word 'disgusting!'

Later, when I had left school and was waiting to go to university (not to study maths) I met the same teacher in our local pub. He was as friendly as could be, and we shared a couple of pints. I sked him if he really meant what he had said. "Oh yes, he replied, but don't let it worry you, there are more important things in life than not being good at algebra."

He was right, of course, but that single word still troubles me when I remember it.

Whaty 17:24 11 May 07

Many years ago I introduced a change to a process that improved things quite a bit for myself and three fellow work collegues. Without my knowledge one of my collegues submitted this idea for an innovation award to the head office and it won.

My reward was a bottle of wine, a cheque for £25 and a 'Thank You' card. These were to be presented to me by my manager and this he did privately, behind closed doors and not openly in the office as they were normally presented.

When I later opened the card it read, "Thank you for changing something that's worked perfectly well for the past 7 years"... :-(

squillary 00:26 12 May 07

FE: Quick as a flash I replied "I'm sure you're not, sir".

I can't claim this one as my own, but your story reminded me of one told to me by my Works Director 20+ years ago. He was at a Board meeting making his presentation and made some obscure reference. The MD, a very stern man not to be crossed, piped up "That reminds me of a story I had about that".

"Really Sir" said the WD as he continued anyway, until the MD piped up again. I have told you my story about that, haven't I?".

"No" said the WD and he tried to move on with his presentation again, but the MD wasn't having any of it. "Surely I must've bored you before with my story about that".

"I think not, Sir" said the exasperated WD. "It must've been something else you bored us about..."

Cue silence and tumbleweed...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant