I know absolutley nothing about football etc..

pj123 18:21 26 Aug 07

or anything about league tables or points or who wins.

I just read a report that Arsenal have relocated to the Emirates??

How do they get to their away games? How do other teams get to the Emirates to play Arsenal?

Then someone enlightened me. I must be the biggest "wally" in the UK.

Legolas 18:23 26 Aug 07

I think the wallies are the ones who called the stadium the emirates. Whats that all about?

SANTOS7 18:36 26 Aug 07

think yourself lucky if you support Manchester City
you could have been stood in the Colin Bell end..

Stuartli 18:38 26 Aug 07

It's named the Emirates Stadium because of a 15-year naming rights deal worth £100m with Emirates Airlines. The airline will also be the club's title sponsor for the next eight years.

Simple really.

wee eddie 18:38 26 Aug 07

One assumes that "Emirates" ~ The Airline, are now the Owners of the Arsenal Stadium

Forum Editor 18:38 26 Aug 07

you're talking about my team. Their home stadium is called the Emirates stadium because Emirate airlines put up £100 million of the £390 million the stadium cost to build. Part of the deal involved the stadium being named 'Emirates' for a guaranteed period of 15 years.

Arsenal would have preferred a deal with a British company, but nobody could match Emirate airline's offer.

The stadium is an amazing place, more like a modern hotel inside than a football stadium. It can seat just under 60,500 people, and it's the first one that my wife has said she feels really comfortable in. I go there if I can get a ticket, I have several clients who have season tickets (I don't) and they lend them to me from time to time.

Stuartli 18:41 26 Aug 07

The £357m stadium holds 60,000 spectators, was built on time and in considerably less time than the infamous vastly over budget new Wembley stadium.

Forum Editor 18:43 26 Aug 07

Nope, they don't own it, or any part of it. They have bought the right to have their name on it for 15 years.

The bulk of the money was provided by a consortium of banks, lead by the Royal Bank of Scotland, but Arsenal themselves own the stadium. Nobody except the club's directors and the banks is quite sure of the current situation, but it is widely thought that Arsenal have already repaid much of their debt to the banks.

Forum Editor 18:45 26 Aug 07

The cost was actually £390 million, but the club immediately recovered £30 million of that from the sale of private boxes, making the net cost repayable of around £360 million - of which Emirates paid £100 million.

Dizzy Bob 18:46 26 Aug 07

If you get a chance, do the stadium tour, including the museum.

The changing rooms (the home one anyway) and facilities have to be seen to be believed.

The pitch is phenominal, and only walked on by the 1st team and gound staff. The reserves and youth team have to make do with the traiing pitch (unless they get to the semi finals of their respective cup tournaments)

DB

Si_L 18:48 26 Aug 07

I think it needs to be pointed out that they have a new stadium, they are no longer at Highbury.

Their new stadium is amazing, such a shame their won't be many goals there this season without Thierry ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced