I have just bought a new computer, hypothetically

Sapins 15:34 25 Feb 05

So what information should be in the box and/or on the case and who should provide it?

Totally-braindead 15:40 25 Feb 05

What do you mean?

Sapins 15:45 25 Feb 05

Should you be provided with information on the need to install a firewall, anti virus programme etc:

CurlyWhirly 15:50 25 Feb 05

I don't think it should be the PC manufacturer's job to advise the public on this.
We should all take responsibility for anti-virus, firewall, etc.

Sapins 15:54 25 Feb 05

O.K. but who tells beginners about it?

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:59 25 Feb 05

It should be common sense coupled with a little self-responsibility. You would not buy a car without doing research into the model that you wanted. There is terminally endless publicity about firewalls and AVs, so that anyone who wants a computer can easily find out about simple configuration.

g

Sapins 16:32 25 Feb 05

I would guess lots of people buy a car/computer after just looking at it. Of course experienced users wouldn't do this, I am thinking about those who are not as aware as others and get no guidance as to setting it up and keeping it safe. I agree there is a lot of publicity re computers but I would suggest that novices have not read it.

CurlyWhirly 16:48 25 Feb 05

What about the new Government scheme then?

click here

Some may argue that we are becoming a nanny state though, but perhaps it is a good idea for computer novices to learn about security?

Sapins 17:03 25 Feb 05

I just think beginners, who are also novices, should be given some help with security especially, this will help stop the spread of virus's etc:

There must be other information that would be of use, what would have helped you when you first used a computer?

Good link by the way.

cycoze 17:27 25 Feb 05

I wish i could find my CD of the old forums ! this subject has been raised so many times.

I can just about remember that i had mentiond something about stickers and FE ( china then ) had the idea of a Big Red Sticker placed on the monitor screen of all new machines, warning of the need for AV`s.

Anyone else remember that ? FE ?

Sapins 17:45 25 Feb 05

I haven't seen it since I joined 3 years ago!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…