I hate the BT 100% broadband cover announcements!

Brazils 09:55 18 Jul 04

It really annoys me when BT tell us that 100% of an area can now enjoy the benefits of broadband.

I know many peaple who are close to an exchange, but due to line quality problems cannot receive broadband.

BT will not offer any assistance as they only have to supply a line capable of voice or maybe 28 kbps internet quality.

All the government's and BT's statement about 100% broadband are just not true.

Forum Editor 10:09 18 Jul 04

an advertisement that said "100% of this area can now receive broadband, except for those individual lines which, for one or more reasons usually associated with the deterioration of the copper line conductor, cannot." wouldn't have much impact, would it?

BT's slowness in getting broadband to outlying areas (or even some not so outlying) is simply related to cost. They have to invest considerable sums in exchange upgrades, and they're a Limited company - they have to justify their actions in terms of profit to their shareholders (who are also their customers). Sometimes it isn't financially viable, and those exchanges have to wait until enough people register their interest to reach the trigger level that's been set. If enough people never register there's a problem, and that's where BT and the government need to get together to come up with alternatives.

Line quality is often the problem, and in those cases BT can do something - they can renew the line. The problem there is one of fairness - if they renew yours I'll want mine renewed too, and so will that man down the road, and his son, and so on. There must be millions of dodgy copper line lengths in Britain, we have the oldest public phone network in the world.

All these problems will be solved, in time, but the investment required to bring broadband to every corner of the nation is truly huge, and shareholders like receiving dividends - they don't like to be told there's no money for them this year, or next, because of the cost of renewing the network. When shareholders get that kind of news they pick up the phone and sell their shares, and when that happens it doesn't take long before the price plummets, and then the company's in big trouble.

Non of which is of much solace to someone in rural Staffordshire who can't get broadband because he/she is 100 metres outside the distance limit. Or someone who is inside the limit but whose line doesn't pass the ADSL test.

Brazils 13:49 18 Jul 04

Why won't they allow you to pay to have your line replaced? Mine was damaged years ago and they just joined it as a repair. I'm sure this is the problem.

Both my neighbours can receive BB from the same telegraph pole as me. BT won't even discuss the matter.

As for your first point, I agree, so BT shouldn't use the phrase 100%.

Mikè 18:58 18 Jul 04

BT are carrying out an extended reach trial for broadband in Milton Keynes, apparently there is a large part of the town that can't get it within the current limits. click here As sombody who's line passed an in home test a week before, and then failed at installation I live in hope.

Graham ® 19:27 18 Jul 04

Report your line as intermittently noisy/cutting off. Point the repair out to the engineer. They are now obliged to renew the dropwire from the main DP pole, via any intermediate poles, in one continuos length.

FE, at one time when copper was very expensive the GPO changed to aluminium underground cables. This was a new 'invention'. Unfortunately, what no-one knew at the time, the the cables quickly 'aged', and the joints corroded.

So BT is now stuck with thousands of miles of aluminium in a poor state.

Graham ® 19:29 18 Jul 04

continuous

Mikè 19:50 18 Jul 04

"So BT is now stuck with thousands of miles of aluminium in a poor state"

I know where approximately 5.2km of it is.....

CurlyWhirly 21:49 18 Jul 04

MIKE

Don't you mean copper?
I thought BT's telephone line network was ALL copper?
CW

CurlyWhirly 21:51 18 Jul 04

MIKE

I just read BRAZILS thread - now I get it!
Sorry ignore this!
CW

Forum Editor 22:33 18 Jul 04

During the copper shortage in the 1960s BT used aluminium cable, which is fine - in fact it's very efficient. The problem does indeed relate to the joints with copper cable, the electrolytic reaction between the two metals results in noise on the line. BT isn't stuck with thousands of miles of aluminium cable in a poor state - the cable's OK.

No customer is entirely supplied via aluminium - there's always some copper in the line at some point.

georgemac 00:34 19 Jul 04

the registration scheme for recieveing broadband once the trigger level is reached was scrapped a few months ago and BT is now enabling almost all exchanges.

click here a great site for info about broadband

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…