I am about to commit an act of gross vandalism

rawprawn 17:47 02 Jun 08

After spending many hours trying to perfect my computer's performance, I have to take it back for repair on Thursday.
On Wednesday afternoon I shall be destroying anything which may have personal details. There are a lot of programs with sensitive information, and I will have to uninstall all of them, then wipe free space.
I shall then be absent for about 4 weeks. I am devastated!

Forum Editor 18:03 02 Jun 08

already.

iambeavis 18:11 02 Jun 08

Was it one "tweak" too many or just an unfortunate, and unavoidable, occurence?

rawprawn 18:14 02 Jun 08

Thank you and I shall miss you Too!

wiz-king 18:14 02 Jun 08

Make an back-up image on something like Acronis, then wipe the hard drive ( with a hammer) after making sure that you have the programe disk - just in case.
I always store any downloaded programs in a folder in 'my documents' so I can find them again without trying to remember where I downloaded them from. I also put all the serial numbers/codes in a Excel file so I can find them again.
When the hard drive crashed on my machine last year the back-up proved invaluable - even though it was a month since I had last updated it.

rawprawn 18:16 02 Jun 08

Just an unavoidable occurence,my laptop keyboard is failing, and needs replacing.
Tinkerers Unite, all is not lost.

rawprawn 18:18 02 Jun 08

Done that, thank you for the advice. I hope to be able to get back to normallity with the help of Acronis.

mrwoowoo 18:18 02 Jun 08

Is there no way that the Helproom could resolve the issue for you without taking it in for repair?

mrwoowoo 18:19 02 Jun 08

OOPS,too slow.
Don't think we can help with that.

rawprawn 18:39 02 Jun 08

Thank you fot the thought.

rawprawn 18:42 02 Jun 08

Fortunately I am going to Italy for 10 days, so that will make the withdrawal sypmtoms easier to bear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant