Hydrogen favoured hypersonic civil transport

TopCat® 17:24 24 Oct 07

Probably larger than the A380, felled by hydrogen and capable of Mach6-8 the EU are to fund 'a second phase of European Space Agency led studies into a hypersonic civil transport capable of flying from Brussels to Sydney in as little as two hours.' click here No meals on this aircraft then except for maybe a quick sandwich! :o)

Clicking the hyperlinks gives more info on possible shapes and ram-jet engines. Me, I'm hyper-ventilating already! :o) TC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 24 Oct 07

Ram jets are good but you need to get up to a certain speed (at least 0'5 mach) before you can use them.

So conventional jet engines to get it off and on the ground and the new engines kick in at high speed.

WhiteTruckMan 21:39 24 Oct 07

comes around

click here

WTM

HCOOH 22:08 24 Oct 07

About time some of the "Thunderbirds are Go" vehicles became reality.

WhiteTruckMan 22:27 24 Oct 07

wondering if the average human could comfortably withstand the stresses of a 2 hour flight to sydney. Turns out that if you assume a best case scenario for the least acceleration, which is constant halfway there then the same again deceleration for the rest it comes out to about 1/3G, which surprised me. Thats not to say that its a practical proposition, however, as there might only be room for 2 people between all the fuel tanks it might need.

WTM

robgf 01:54 25 Oct 07

It would be easier to connect some large cables to Australia and winch it a bit closer. ;)

amonra 15:39 25 Oct 07

Hows about digging down and just falling into the hole ?
Pop out the other end, "Hi there !"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:28 25 Oct 07

"Gud day"

I was always told as a kid if we dug a hole deep enogh we would end up in China.

TopCat® 19:45 25 Oct 07

'surface' near the Antipodes Islands to the south of New Zealand. It seems my teacher wasn't far out - click here TC.

Wilham 21:21 25 Oct 07

I wish someone would ask the right questions before EU spends money on this. I suggest a couple...

(i) International agreement has been reached that aircraft fuel spec is limited by flashpoint as far as possible to reduce fire risk in accidents. Are you ignoring this safety measure?

(ii) Hydrogen in quantity would have to be carried at low temperature as a liquid. Usually at fuel top-ups in service the weight will increase for the same fuel load because the concentration of deuterium in unused fuel will have increased by fractional distillation. How are you countering this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…