Hunger Games - a question

wee eddie 19:05 PM 10 Apr 12
Answered

As a SciFi Reader, for about the last 50 years or so, I was fascinated to watch the On-line Trailers for The Hunger Games.

The first one I watched reminded me of a Tale that I had read in the 60's, so when watching the Second Trailer, I was unsurprised to see the Edge of the Arena Effect, when the stone and then the Axe, bounced back.

My question is not to complain about plagiarism but to ask if anyone can remember what the Book was. My initial thought was Heinlein and then Asimov, but I have not been able to pinpoint the Story, yet!

Your help please.

Aitchbee 21:00 PM 10 Apr 12

wee eddie - your description reminded me of the start of 2001 A Space Oddessey, were one of the pre-humans smashes up a wilderbeast (or similar quadriped) with a huge bone...then the bone magnificently transmutates into a spaceship.

Aitchbee 21:25 PM 10 Apr 12

...I suppose hunger sharpens the minds of all living creatures.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 PM 11 Apr 12
Answer

Heinlein wrote a story where two protagonists fought for their respective species.

Star trek used the same thing in an episode Kirk v Lizard man (I think that episode was called the arena.

Plagiarism, aren't most stories based on one of Shakespeare's tales? I seem to recognise one of his plays in most films I tend to watch nowadays (apart from Titanic) :0)

Kosweigart 01:33 AM 24 Apr 12

@we eddie--II recall this as an asimov short story about two countries that fought every 4 years. Each sending 100 soldiers into a battlefield arena. Love to know the name. I think it may have been in one of his monthly magazine in the late 80's.

Quickbeam 05:35 AM 24 Apr 12

Wasn't the Titanic based on The Tempest Fruit Bat /\0/...?

wee eddie 08:21 AM 24 Apr 12

Thanks Folks, I'm still working on it, on a very occasional basis, as I'd like to find the geneses of the idea

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites