Hundreds' conned by card scam

peter99co 22:21 22 Jun 09

click here

I find it unbelievable that these machines can be "Got At" without some alarm being set off.

The manufacturers could easily install some kind of protection against this kind of dismantling of an ATM.

Removing a speaker grill to install a camera and the machine continues to work is a serious design fault surely?

Si_L 23:14 22 Jun 09

For every person trying to protect ATMs, there will be a whole lot more trying to hack them. These criminals are not stupid at all, just because they managed to work their way around the ATM security doesn't mean there wasn't a very high level of security in the first place.

Forum Editor 00:30 23 Jun 09

to secure ATMs. One of them is to use iris scanning technology,but there's a degree of opposition to that - some people believe that their eyes will be harmed by it.

The technology has been piloted at Heathrow and several other UK airports. I tried it at Heathrow, but it to take too long.

Biometric checking would provide a far greater level of security, but it's difficult to envisage anything other than Iris scanning because of the numbers of people using the machines - fingerprint readers are OK as long as the scanner is kept fairly clean, and that isn't likely to be the case between Friday night and Monday morning.

In the end it's the same old story - all of us need to take responsibility for our own security.

jack 08:41 23 Jun 09

Those of you who are can easily shield the typing paw with the other
Most folk have to 'eyball' the digits however.
What other steps can an individual take?
Bend closer to the keypad maybe to mask external 'peepers'[camera or human]
Vigilance at all times is the only true answer as FE wrote.
A very difficult thing to achieve.
Even sitting here I can find stuff can go awry simply because the mind had drifted slightly -by an external event maybe or new thoughts coming up.

JanetO 09:12 23 Jun 09

Surely the ATM machines could have their own mini cameras to record everyone's faces. Then the tamperers would be identified.

Shortstop 10:45 23 Jun 09

I have long thought that one of the biggest issues is that there are so many different exterior styles to cash machines. If there was a simplistic, basic format it would be easier to notice 'unusual' shapes to the front of the machine - even a small difference - as you would have a known appearance in your mind. However, where I am, every Bank and Building Society seem to have different lumps & bumps to highlight their corporate identity. I myself [an ex Bank employee] have had difficulty in assessing whether the slot for the card seems slightly longer than usualso could therefore hide a skimmer.

I don't believe that retinal scans are the way forward, but not for the reasons above. Cash machines are used by different banks, sometimes located in different countries. The only way that this would work would be hyper-links between the Banks to retieve this detail per transaction or to have the detail digitally on the card. The first means slower service [and no one wants to wait nowadays] and potential network issues; the second can be overcome if the criminal so chooses.

I've also thought that the addition of cameras are only for the Bank's benefit - to prove that you personally either did or did not use the machine. Taking a picture of Mr Robber during the offence is like bolting the stable door.

Just my personal view ...

Paul

JanetO 11:16 23 Jun 09

I just reread my post. Naive old me. The thieves could be hoodies hiding their faces in the dead of night.

In which case there must be a way of alarming the atm's when they're tampered with.

WhiteTruckMan 13:44 23 Jun 09

I posted on this very thing some time back

click here

together with a link (that still works) to some illustrations of pin gathering devices (cameras) talked about in the bbc article.

WTM

peter99co 16:02 23 Jun 09

There must be a way of alarming the atm's when they're tampered with.

This is so right.

The machines in the link should not have a removable speaker grill. A few small holes in the casing would allow sound to get through.

Why does the slot have to be removable outwards and why is it oversize in the front plate of the machine?

User-994545 17:21 23 Jun 09

i rarely use a cash point other than inside a bank ,i always cover the number input,and never use it in small,outlets,E.G. fuel stations,restaurants ,
i stick to,cash ,which has it own dangers,but different .

JYPX 21:36 24 Jun 09

I have to agree with coopz.
I believe that my perception of the risk of crime is reasonable. If I want to go out for a walk after dark I do so, without any abnormal fear of being attacked or robbed.
But would I stand next to a machine, in the street, which might just as well have a huge sign with an arrow, saying "This person has his wallet in his hand and is placing £200 cash into it - right now"?
Er......no thanks.
As I may have said in the other thread, it would only need a small change in criminal behaviour in this country for ATM's to become "unusable".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…