Huge ice shelf breaks free

hijo 22:59 29 Dec 06

Is this global warming or just nature taking its course,why is there so much speculation on this subject,but whatever is the truth this is some seriously HUGE block of ice..!!
click here

Forum Editor 23:34 29 Dec 06

such things have happened in the past. I remember one ice floe that was the size of the Isle of Wight, and there have been larger ones recorded.

Either way, it's certainly a big chunk of stuff to be drifting along on the ocean

wolfie3000 23:57 29 Dec 06

just imagine the gin and tonic that could cope with that ice cube.

hzhzhzhz 23:59 29 Dec 06

reminds me,I must defrost my freezer.

rodriguez 03:16 30 Dec 06

If the polar ice caps carry on melting at this rate, there will soon be appeals that go something like "Dig out the spare ice in your freezer and send it in a self-addressed envelope to the North Pole..."

scrath 11:01 30 Dec 06

who suffer in the end. Whether by a natural occurance (ice caps melting)- or caused by mankind, it will be a huge loss when they eventually become extinct!

I hope with all my heart that this can be avoided!

Kate B 11:17 30 Dec 06

hzhzhzhz *chuckle* Me too. Scrath, I think you're slightly overstating it: polar bears are beautiful creatures but if they become extinct, well, I can think of bigger losses to humankind.

Forum Editor 11:20 30 Dec 06

It's difficult to see what can be done at this late stage. Polar ice is definitely melting at an alarming rate, and there's absolutely nothing we can do to reverse the process - at least in the short timeframe left to Polar bears. I fear it's too late for the bears that live in the wild - they'll become extinct at some point this century.

The best we can hope for is that we can preserve the species in captivity, ready for a time when the planet recreates the ice - which will inevitably occur at some point.

Forum Editor 11:31 30 Dec 06

That's the problem in a nutshell:- "I can think of bigger losses to humankind."

Lots of little losses add up to a very big loss, but it will creep up on us. Each year many species of animal become extinct, but because they're not big, furry and noble-looking most of us have little idea that they even existed in the first place.

One day we'll probably be conscious of the fact that the world was once a very much richer place in terms of biodiversity, but by then it will be too late, and of course our species-arrogance is that we assume it's the losses to us that are the most important - hence your "I can think of bigger losses to humankind" remark. It's really a bit more important than that, Kate; if we're truly to think of ourselves as a sophisticated, civilised society we would do well to consider that we are in a unique position to do both good things and bad things to our planet. Apathy in the face of the results of our neglect is hardly the mark of an advanced civilisation.

scrath 11:33 30 Dec 06

Forum Editor, you are right, there's not much we can do now, and yes, the captive bears may be our only hope of saving the Polar Bear species.

That at least, is something to hope for.

New Year's greetings to all!

WEMS

scrath 11:35 30 Dec 06

Your second post).

I couldn't have expressed myself better!

WEMS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…