Hubs are springing up everywhere

Graham* 23:44 PM 26 Aug 12

Is 'Hub' the new buzzword? My local shopping centre has now declared the area of sandwich shops and cafes a Food Hub. Lots of other examples, perhaps you have noticed them. Transport hub, anyone?

wiz-king 05:40 AM 27 Aug 12

Maybe hub is short for huberistic?

Aitchbee 08:34 AM 27 Aug 12

I heard a lot of 'hub' words this morning on Radio4 during a short discussion about 'London Hub Airports' involving Tim Yeo and a transport planner. Evan Davies was the presenter. 'Hub-capacity' and 'hub-connectivity' also got a mention.

Closer to home there is now a major transport hub beside Hampden Park, Glasgow.

Forum Editor 08:35 AM 27 Aug 12

Given that a dictionary definition of the word is:- "A center of activity or interest; a focal point."

I suppose it's a valid term, but yes, I have noticed an increase in the use of 'hub' of late.

morddwyd 08:50 AM 27 Aug 12
  Quickbeam 08:58 AM 27 Aug 12

The new main Doncaster college site was renamed The Hub when it opened a couple of years ago. But we have a transport interchange rather than a second hub which is odd, as being as the LNER Railway was a main UK axle line, you'd expect to have two hubs on an axle...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11