Hubs are springing up everywhere

Graham* 23:44 PM 26 Aug 12

Is 'Hub' the new buzzword? My local shopping centre has now declared the area of sandwich shops and cafes a Food Hub. Lots of other examples, perhaps you have noticed them. Transport hub, anyone?

wiz-king 05:40 AM 27 Aug 12

Maybe hub is short for huberistic?

Aitchbee 08:34 AM 27 Aug 12

I heard a lot of 'hub' words this morning on Radio4 during a short discussion about 'London Hub Airports' involving Tim Yeo and a transport planner. Evan Davies was the presenter. 'Hub-capacity' and 'hub-connectivity' also got a mention.

Closer to home there is now a major transport hub beside Hampden Park, Glasgow.

Forum Editor 08:35 AM 27 Aug 12

Given that a dictionary definition of the word is:- "A center of activity or interest; a focal point."

I suppose it's a valid term, but yes, I have noticed an increase in the use of 'hub' of late.

morddwyd 08:50 AM 27 Aug 12
  Quickbeam 08:58 AM 27 Aug 12

The new main Doncaster college site was renamed The Hub when it opened a couple of years ago. But we have a transport interchange rather than a second hub which is odd, as being as the LNER Railway was a main UK axle line, you'd expect to have two hubs on an axle...

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites