Hubble photographs after refit

Curio 18:05 15 Sep 09

click here Makes us even more insignificant

Forum Editor 18:27 15 Sep 09

The word seems inadequate to describe how infinitesimally small we are, compared to the known universe.

Our Galaxy - the one we refer to as the Milky way - contains roughly 100 thousand million stars. Outside our own galaxy there are many more, some of them much bigger than our own, and containing far more stars. A good estimate puts the number of stars in the universe at around 50,000 billion billion.

Now you can feel incredibly, unbelievably insignificant.

mikef. 20:06 15 Sep 09

Absolutely stunning

Technotiger 20:26 15 Sep 09

Must have taken you ages to count them ....... :-))

interzone55 21:36 15 Sep 09

This is Monty Python's take on space
click here

Forum Editor 22:34 15 Sep 09

It's an interest of mine, stargazing.

You often hear people saying that on a clear night you can look at the sky and see millions of stars, but in fact - in this country - you'll only ever see around six and a half thousand or so.

wee eddie 02:17 16 Sep 09

that other life forms do not exist out there, among all those Stars and Planets.

We may never meet them, but I've always wondered what their God looks like!

Maybe I'll rephrase that: What form their God takes.

p.s. I think that belief in a God may be a fact of life. Whether there is a God is debatable.

BT 08:09 16 Sep 09

What I find impossible to visualize is the fact that space goes on forever, but if it does have a finite size, however large, what is on the other side of its boundary?

interzone55 08:51 16 Sep 09

I think that the universe is still expanding into a vacuum, but at some point the momentum will stop and gravity will take over and the universe will start to contact, until it all crashes into one big lump, which will explode and start the whole process off again...

oresome 10:30 16 Sep 09

What would Galileo think of the scientific advances being made, if he were able to return?

And yet it seems, the more we discover, the less we know.

OTT_Buzzard 10:37 16 Sep 09

"You often hear people saying that on a clear night you can look at the sky and see millions of stars, but in fact - in this country - you'll only ever see around six and a half thousand or so."

That is undoubtedly the most interesting statement I will read today :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…