How things change.

Recently, a copy of The railway Magazine dated march/april 1946 came my way. Apart from it's antiquated layout, it was interesting to see how little space was devoted to advertising, due no doubt to the postwar paper shortage and industry/ commerce still in transition from wartime restrictions. One advert that stood out was for original biro pens retailing at £2.15s (£2.75) I wonder how many people at that time could afford to buy a pen at that price. Today, you can buy them for 10p (or less). Price of the mag? 2/- (10p).

Bingalau 21:22 05 Sep 06

I bought newly invented "Biro" way back in 1951 I think it was. It was made in the shape of the Pylon or whatever that thing was at the "Festival of Britain". what's more I paid about £2 for it and within a week someone had half-inched it. ..Bingalau..

STREETWORK 21:24 05 Sep 06

Want to sell the magazine????

BT 08:15 06 Sep 06

My Dad got hold of a 'Biro' refill in the early '50's and converted an old fountain pen to hold it. I seem to remember the original Bic pen cost 6d in old money, and was infinitely superior in its writing quality to other ball points avalable at the time. We were only kids at the time and we all wanted one, but we were not allowed to use them at school. We were only allowed to use fountain pens or 'dip' pens, as ball points 'ruined your writing' according to the teacher.

The Bic site has some interesting info:- click here

spuds 12:13 06 Sep 06

Not sure whether this thread is about old railway mags or biro pens. But in the olden days it was the quill and ink (still remember my old school desk, with the ink well), then it transfered to more modern writing methods, including the NASA pens (work at any angle, and even underwater). But I still get confused as to certain legal and medical documents, that still have the old fountain pen and black 'Quink' completion, even to this day.

wiz-king 13:30 06 Sep 06

Beware of using ink!! A lot of forms are on such glossy paper that you cant fill them in with 'real' ink, even the good waterproof ink roller-balls I use at work just rub off. A right pain when you have filled in a form and notice the ink comes off as you fold it to put it in the envelope.

spuds 15:36 06 Sep 06

wiz-king, would this come under the category of 'destroy all the evidence'. What cannot be seen, cannot be acted on!. ;o)

I was just comparing prices then with what they are now. There is very little advertising in the mag. Most of the other full page ads are taken by the railway companies telling us to be patient while they catch up with the backlog of maitenance caused by the war. Sometimes, it seems we are still playing catch up.
Streetwork. If you are interested, the mag cost me nothing so i'll only want postage etc covering.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 07 Sep 06

the railway companies telling us to be patient while they catch up with the backlog of maitenance caused by the war. Sometimes, it seems we are still playing catch up.

The railways were "Nationalised" in 1948 and privatised again approx 1996. Don't think they ever caught up in all that time, and are still trying to catch up after years of under investment.

The tracks were effectively re nationalised after the fall of Railtrack and the formation of Network Rail.

How many people still refer to "British Rail"?

jakimo 20:54 07 Sep 06

There are collectors for virtually everything,why not put it up for auction in ebay,and see what response you get

oresome 22:14 07 Sep 06

Talk of the Biro reminds me of an incident in the 1950's when as a young boy I was spending a day at my fathers office.

He was using these new fangled pens and the ink was running out after a short time. He spoke to the newsagent where he'd purchased them and the newsagent had the solution.

The breather hole in the pen case was probably not fully through and needed the plastic flashing clearing away.

So my dad asked me to check all the pens in the draw and make sure the holes were through.

I promptly got a drawing pin and proceded to push it through the breather hole and the ink tube on every pen.

Within half an hour, one sticky mess and a dozen ruined pens. For some reason, I never seemed to spend much time in the office after that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…