How stupid can The Olympic Committee get?

wee eddie 18:07 15 Mar 11

We know that they have signed up with Visa and are not accepting any other type of card.

Now we find that they are not accepting any Visa Card that 'expires' between now and August.

I make that to be just over 4 months, which equates to approximately 1/3rd of all Visa Card Holders!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 15 Mar 11

And the clock has stopped in Trafalgar Square

:0)

wee eddie 21:36 15 Mar 11

I gather that they have now issued an apology.

Forum Editor 23:05 15 Mar 11

because it's in the company's interests to do so.

They'll issue a one off VISA account number to people who haven't got and/or don't want a Visa card, and a software fix will rapidly be in place to resolve the August expiry problem.

The problems only affect UK cardholders - Visa customers in other countries aren't affected.

This wasn't the Olympic Committee being stupid at all. The card problem was a Visa issue. As for the exclusivity deal - that's a normal aspect of the games sponsorship policy - sponsor companies have been granted exclusivity at every Olympic games since 1988.

wee eddie 23:41 15 Mar 11

any Credit Card Company demanding Sole Rights before.

Of course there's Cash and Cheque, but No, you can't pay by using those methods.

Is that fair? Are we not in danger of leading those, currently without Credit Cards, for whatever reason, into un-necessary temptation.

If Ticket Sales fail to meet Targets, will they drop this restriction?

If I apply for 2 Tickets for the Finals at several Stadia, will ones Normal Visa Card, with a £4500.00 limit, be good for say £20,120.00

I think that this is the first "foot in mouth" moment and that there will be more to come.

I am still of the firm conviction that it is all a monumental waste of money. I do not believe that The Olympic Movement increases participation in Sport, within the general population, beyond a very limited group who would probably have participated anyway.

As for putting Sport on TV, it has the opposite effect. It reduces the number of participants in the activity. Just creates a lot of 'lard arses' watching it.

Someone has been reading their Juvenal, but failing to understand it's meaning! Or, there again, maybe they have and we're almost all sheep!

Forum Editor 23:53 15 Mar 11

They were granted in return for sponsorship; it happens at all Olympic games, as I pointed out.

"Of course there's Cash and Cheque, but No, you can't pay by using those methods."

Yes you can.

"If Ticket Sales fail to meet Targets, will they drop this restriction?" No, it's a sponsorship deal, as I keep pointing out. If ticket sales are bad at any particular event there will undoubtedly be special arrangements made to get people in - probably by offering free seats to schoolchildren.

"If I apply for 2 Tickets for the Finals at several Stadia, will ones Normal Visa Card, with a £4500.00 limit, be good for say £20,120.00"

Of course not, why on earth should it be?

"As for putting Sport on TV, it has the opposite effect. It reduces the number of participants in the activity. Just creates a lot of 'lard arses' watching "

That's complete nonsense, hundreds of millions of people all over the world watch the games on TV, Surely you're not suggesting that those people would otherwise travel to watch the games here?

"I think that this is the first "foot in mouth" moment and that there will be more to come."

Why am I smiling?

wee eddie 23:59 15 Mar 11

As a general rule the Under 30's do not participate in Sport.

Unless they went to a Private (Public) School, they have never participated in Sport on a regular basis as successive Governments, of both parties, have reduced the available facilities and staffing to levels at which it is no longer possible for them to.

Had the Billions being spent on the Olympic site been spent on our schools, then maybe there would be a 'Fitter' Britain. But no, we have this "Vanity" Product that, like so many Lottery Funded Schemes, is likely to bankrupt those that inherit it.

wee eddie 21:17 16 Mar 11

click here

"Do you have a Visa card?

Yes. You can apply on this website.

No. You will need a Visa card.
To obtain one please visit the Visa website."

There is no other way that you can pay ~ officially, that is. Maybe, there are other Websites that mention different methods?

wee eddie 21:27 16 Mar 11

MacDonald's, Pepsi and many other Comestible Sellers at different Olympic Games.

However, I don't remember hearing of a Credit Card Company getting that "Sole" Right to handle all Transactions, regardless of their Sponsorship status.

I know of very few Private (as opposed to Business) Card Holders whose monthly limits exceed £8,000 to £10,000. Apart from those that live, and have their being, in a Metropolitan Area, that is.

This is surely, reducing the Population Base that is able to Apply for Tickets.

wee eddie 21:45 16 Mar 11

I am a Member of a local Tennis Club and Curl fanatically throughout the Winter. I have friends who organise local Rugby, Cricket, and Football Clubs. All have lower Memberships than they did 10 to 15 years ago. Some are struggling to survive because they cannot muster a quorum (2 full Teams) many weekends.

It used to be that you had to put your Name down onto a Waiting list, of over 5 years, to join and then Play Golf at Troon, Prestwick or Turnberry Clubs. Now, they have all reduced their Entry Fee and you can almost become a Member, by Return of Post.

Now, all of this may not be down to the presence of Sports on TV, but the correlation is so close that an Actuary would, very likely, say that it showed a link.

If join any gathering, say, in a Pub or at a Dinner Party and you put the question. "What's your Sport?" Your reply will refer, not to one that they play but one that they watch.

finerty 21:50 16 Mar 11

so visa win by getting people to apply for a visa card if they dont have one if they want to buy a ticket, but if you have a friend who is with visa you just the friend to buy you a ticket and pay the friend not visa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…