how to save a penny

anthonystorey 21:21 28 Jan 06

my antivirus and firewall are up for subscription renewal (norton systemworks and norton firewall) to do them online it would cost £35 but can get them both for £34.99 at pc world and they are the 2006 editions.I know there is free stuff out there but i had alot of problems with zone alarm on my comp so it put me off i just wondered why its so expensive online?

Fred Heartsun 21:35 28 Jan 06

the 99p thing is a basic anti fraud thing against crooked sales staff. because they have to give change, they have to ring it up on the till. if it costs a whole pound then they can actually just pocket it.

SG Atlantis® 21:45 28 Jan 06

fred, what on earth?

It's common sense that tells you it's perception of value. 99p sounds cheaper. What looks better £99.99 or £100.00? £199 or £200?

read towards the bottom of this link click here

That said, some companies have drifted away from this practice - they don't see the need for it. At the opposite end though the DIY chain B+Q charge 98p as they claim they are the cheapest!

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:13 28 Jan 06

If you d/l AVG and Zonealrms you will save £34.99 as they are free.

G

ayrmail 23:59 28 Jan 06

I would agree in part with GANDALF <|:-)> AVG yes and if you are using XP what about its firewall add MS antispyware and spybot search and destroy, all free and easy to set up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 29 Jan 06

Firewalls :-
Filesclab click here
Jetico click here
Kerio4 click here
Netveda click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Outpost free click here
R-firewall click here
Securepoint click here
Softperfect click here
Sygate click here
Wyvernworks click here
ZoneAlarm click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…