How old is your oldest data record?

Forum Editor 16:59 30 May 10

This is a subject that crops up from time to time, and it's cropped up in a big way for me over the past couple of weeks - I've been advising a film company about possible data storage policies.

The work has involved investigating the life expectancy of various storage methods, and I've been surprised by some of the information I've gathered. Some sources claim that CDs and DVDs have a life expectancy of between 5 and 20 years, but I've been unable to verify these claims - some business users tell me they replace archived data every two to three years to be safe.

How old is your oldest data CD, and can you still read from it without any problems?

bremner 17:05 30 May 10

The life expectancy of CD/DVD's featured on the BBC Click Program today. click here

click here

made me back up vidoes of the kids on DVD to HDD's today. Out of six I did one had corrupted data. They were 7 or 8 years old.

What was intersting in Click was they also mention LTO tapes and there seems to be no real knowledge of the life expectancy of these either.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:07 30 May 10

Still got a 750k floppy or two I use with data on from 1989.

Oldest data CD that I still use, contains download from locos, is 1996.

rdave13 17:20 30 May 10

Just tried a 5 year old Memorex CD-R, contains avi and jpeg files. Working ok.

Forum Editor 17:31 30 May 10

As a matter of interest, who made that 1996 CD? It looks as though the trusty floppy might yet have its uses.

Does anyone have old Iomega disks that still work well?

Diemmess 17:33 30 May 10

Oldest CD 1999, but fully readable
Includes a Word doc November '95

Long ago, some unbranded CDs from "Simply Computers" unreadble < 3 years

I have several floppies that go back to 1983-4 along the way the odd failure in several brands within 2-3 years.

It is a problem which like a failed HD hammers home the problem when it may be too late.

To my amazement Kodachrome film both still and cine, has survived in my roof space for over 50 years.

BT 17:38 30 May 10

Just run a DVD RW which I created in about 2004 which has over 18,600 ClipArt Images in 264 files in 768MB, and it still seems to be working OK.

Not bad seeing as this type of disc is usually not recommended fo long term use.

shellship 17:47 30 May 10

I stopped using Iomega disks and a USB drive when I got an external HD. I have been wondering what to do with my drive, software and 2 250 Mb disks left - looks as though I have lost 2 of them as I had 4. If I could be bothered I suppose I could flog them on EBay but if you want it/them just let me know - FE has to be a good home!

john bunyan 17:47 30 May 10

I had some 1989 big floppies but converted them to 3.5 in ones on a PC with A, B and C drives in about 1990. I still have a lot of data on floppies from about 1990 0n. I also have (or had until a month ago ) some Iomega Jazz cassettes for which I paid £60 each (for 1 Gig). My Jazz drive was SCSI and went out about 4 years ago, with regret as I also lost the use of a Nikon Coolscan 35 mm SCSI scanner.I recently had some super 8mm films from about 1967 put onto DVD .

Forum Editor 00:39 31 May 10

That's a very kind offer, thank you. I'm not the one who is going to be storing the data however, that will be my client company. At one time I used a lot of those Iomega disks but, like you, I haven't used any for a long time.

BT 07:33 31 May 10

I had an Iomega ZIP drive. Initially a case mounted one which developed the dreaded 'Click' fault, followed by an external USB one which I still have. I have about 14 disks which I bought when they were relatively cheap although they were never an economic option, although I see there are some 100MB ones still available on Amazon for under £20 for 10 which is what I think I paid when I bought mine years ago.

When I was working we had some Honeywell process computers which were rebooted using Iomega JAZ discs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…