How old is old for a job

STREETWORK 21:49 25 Sep 06

Next Monday sees the introduction of new Regulations that make it a criminal offence to discriminate against age when either advertising jobs or screening for interviews...

So, What jobs may there be where age is of concern???

VoG II 22:00 25 Sep 06

Physical fitness might be an issue for some jobs - Fireman, policeman etc. Also mental fitness for Excel :o)

g0nvs 22:04 25 Sep 06

Page 3 models.

picklefactory 22:04 25 Sep 06

Not sure I'm even physically fit for Excel!!

TOPCAT® 23:41 25 Sep 06

I don't excel at many things these days, but I'm still rather handsome you know. And my wife agrees with that statement!! :o))

I say, if you're fit enough, quick enough and can do the job satisfactorily then there shouldn't be a problem. TC.

josie mayhem 00:00 26 Sep 06

My work collegue retired at the begining of this year! she was a cook in our residental home catering for 73 people, one of the best cooks I've known, her pastery was to die for....

Her age (I don't think she mind me saying this, I hope!) 3 months before her 78th birthday...

esbe 00:10 26 Sep 06

My mother did a part time cleaning job at my local M&S,(getting up at 5'oclock in the morning), and 'retired' when she was 80 years & 6 months young.

Now she's moaning because she is bored !!! bless her.

cheers.

lisa02 00:11 26 Sep 06

The tortoise and the hare.

Older people tend to learn and adapt to things slower than young, though they work better. The young tend to slack and do as little as possible, or as little as they think they can get away with. Probably why some retailers (inc the one I work for) choose to employ more older people.

I think age is an issue when it comes to real manual work and where endurance is needed.

LastChip 00:46 26 Sep 06

The above, could sum up the forthcoming legislation.

It is undoubtedly a step in the right direction, but frankly, I don't think it will make any difference to older people gaining employment.

In fact I was talking to someone recently who said: "it's easy to sidestep, just don't offer an interview". With that attitude, it could even be counter-productive.

In other words, ask for a CV, and if the age looks unsuitable, bin it! So what's new?

Some legislation is just unenforceable and I suspect this will fall into that category.

robgf 01:58 26 Sep 06

As LastChip says, this totally enforceable. The current laws prohibit discrimination by gender, but it still happens all the while.
If you want a female for a job, you might interview a few male applicants, for appearances sake, but it is waste of time for both parties.
And visa-versa if you want a male for a job.

I'm always surprised that companies discriminate against older workers. Because in my company, where jobs are predominately manual. The older workers are far superior to younger ones, having a better work ethic and being far more reliable.

And you don't have to prise mobile phones and Ipods off the older generation, every morning, to get some work out of them. :)

Strawballs 10:18 26 Sep 06

I am a steelworker in shipbuilding and I think that few (not all) will be physically fit enough to do it past 65!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant