How not to enjoy a drink

  carver 08 Oct 12
Locked
Answered

I heard about this on the radio but didn't really hear it properly and thought that some one had pored the stuff into her drink out of spite.

Didn't realise that it's the Wine bar using it in their drinks Liquid nitrogen what sort of idiot puts some thing that is so lethal into a drink and doesn't expect a fatality to occur.

  morddwyd 08 Oct 12

Many idiots.

It appears it has been going on for some time and is (was) quite widespread.

Up until now the stuff had always evaporated before being ingested.

This poor girl drank a bit too quickly.

  Flak999 08 Oct 12

I'm glad I'm not the bar owners insurance company! I can see a massive claim on the horizon!

  finerty 08 Oct 12

Next they be putting up notices to cover themselves, when they shouldn't use the stuff in the first place

  interzone55 08 Oct 12

Not sure if the girl will have a right to claim, the bar wasn't doing anything wrong serving these drinks, well nothing illegal anyway.

  Flak999 08 Oct 12

I'm sure they will have third party liability insurance, after all they served the drink to a customer and it almost killed her. Got to be a claim there somewhere I would have thought!

  Quickbeam 08 Oct 12

It'll probably be the insurance companies that stop them being sold quite quickly by way of huge premium increases, a law change would take months even if it was done quickly.

  Devil Fish 09 Oct 12

liquid nitrogen needs to be handled very carefully and to be put in the public domain like this is foolish a very slight error with it can cause what we have seen an 18 year old girl on a night out having here stomach removed liquid nitrogen heating up in stomach causing large gas bubble = very lucky to be alive and should be banned from food and drink before a life is lost by an error

  wiz-king 09 Oct 12

My first thought was -stupid reporters, no-one in there right mind would drink liquid nitrogen - seems I have missed out on the latest trends in drinking. The nearest I have ever got to alcohol and nitrogen was a Guinness.

  Forum Editor 09 Oct 12

This practice has been around for a while, and is generally harmless - the liquid nitrogen boils off before the drink is consumed. It's a gimmick, and is not illegal, but it obviously has a potential for causing harm. I imagine the fad will rapidly become history now.

  wiz-king 09 Oct 12

Not your maths - your physics - a frozen stomach is a rigid structure and this would reduce its ability to expand.

Too many variables!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Wimbledon 2015 live online: follow the tennis from your laptop or PC

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message