How much should I charge?

Si_L 22:19 26 Aug 07

I am just out of colledge, on a gap year at the moment, and I need to earn some funds for a 6 month trip to India in the summer.

I haven't had much luck with getting a job, but a neighbour who has been hit by the Tewkesbury floods wants me to fix her roof (don't worry, the water didn't hit the roof, she just wants to sell the unused house she inherited, and the roof needed fixing!)

Its gonna take about 30 hours work, as all the tiles have to come out, rotting slats removed, replaced with new ones after being treated, and then tiles relayed.

But I have no idea how much I should charge. She said she is going to pay hourly, but not how much. What do you think is reasonable?

Bingalau 22:24 26 Aug 07

How do you know it's going to take 30 hours of work? I would keep strictly away from a job that I am not expert at. Have you any experience in that sort of work? what about the safety side of it. Insurance? I can imagine some of the answers you are going to get on this subject. I'd keep looking for a different job if I were you.

lisa02 22:27 26 Aug 07

I'd leave that kind of work to a professional body with insurance. What happens if you fall off? Or cause damage to property or worse, someone else?

recap 22:32 26 Aug 07

Raises a good point with the safety aspect of this kind of a job. You must ensure you know and understand what the Health & Safety aspects are. Who is going to be liable if there is an accident?

Will this hourly rate include all materials? or is it just for your time?

You say the job is for about 30 hours, try thinking more like 50 hours, you never know what you are going to find once you start taking tiles off the roof. You may end up doing the whole roof.

De Marcus™ 22:45 26 Aug 07

More to the point, why do you need treated timber? Surely if you do a good enough job water should never touch your timber!

If your talking about rot then that's a whole different story, any timber that's rotted in a roof space needs replaced asap. Having said that, rot is rarely a roof space problem, the single biggest roof space problem is ill fitted tiling and with today's modern tiling, despite the lack of copper tie downs, it's a minimal risk.

Si_L 22:46 26 Aug 07

Ok cheers guys for the straight answer!

I know exactly what I am doing. It is not a hard job, and I am taking the necessary safety measures.

Forget I asked.

Forum Editor 23:26 26 Aug 07

to undertake the re-tiling of a house roof with no previous experience?

I can tell you don't have the experience because you refer to 'slats', when in fact they're called battens. Removing all the tiles and old battens from the front and rear roof pitches of an average terraced house, recovering the roof with a breathable membrane, stapled to the rafters, nailing new tanalised battens, and replacing the tiles with the correct nails, including the provision of the correct lead flashings to the party parapets would take two skilled men at least 7 working days.

Your estimate of 30 hours is wildly wrong, and you cannot do the job unless you have a front and rear scaffold. Don't attempt to do the job from ladders - no proper roofer would dream of it.

It's skilled work, and can be very dangerous, quite apart from the fact that unless you do the work in the proper fashion you'll risk exposing the house to rain damage. No proper tradesperson would dream of doing it without public liability insurance cover, and no customer with any sense would employ someone without insurance.

Unless you really do know what you're doing - and at 18 years of age I very much doubt that - I advise you to stay away from this job.

Si_L 23:41 26 Aug 07

I have already removed all the tiles from one side of the roof, removed the rotting "battens" (I also can't believe that you are judging me on my roofing terminology), and have prepped the rafters that I will be nailing the battens too ready for a lick of Creosote.

Please, I've had enough of people telling me about health and safety, how I am inexperienced, that my estimations of time are wrong (which they are not) and that my terminology is wrong. I know exactly what I am doing, it is not hard whatsoever. I asked a simple question at the start, and have just been bombarded with waffle.

Is it in the forum rules not to give a straight answer any more?

rdave13 23:53 26 Aug 07

As an ex carpenter I strongly suggest that you leave the job well alone.
The fact that the lady won't accept a price for the job would put me off straight away.
Removing tiles (or slates in my part of the country) brings problems within itself.
Any decent builder would allow at least a month for scaffolding (precaution for bad weather) and add a certain percentage for the repair in case of dry rot.
Tantalised 2x1 battens are used for roofing nowadays as slatts were used fot torching the interior of roofs with horsehair and lime.

rdave13 23:55 26 Aug 07

Then why ask the question when you are so capable??

Si_L 00:08 27 Aug 07

I ask because it is my first time carrying out such a job. Anyway, the thread has been ticked as resolved seeing as no-one is capable of giving me the answer I was looking for. I asked in my last post for people to not comment on whether I should do it, etc etc.. I have started now and intend to finish what I start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…